+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor extension refused, will I get deported?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I understand, thank you for being so clear and helpful.
Can I do my physical exam in Canada while applying Outland? What about the interview?
Yes - you can do the physical exam in Canada.

If an interview is required (most of the time they are not), it will be held in your home country and you will be required to attend in person.

AlexZ92

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
Yes - you can do the physical exam in Canada.

If an interview is required (most of the time they are not), it will be held in your home country and you will be required to attend in person.
alright, that sounds good! I just hope I have time to schedule a flight in time to attend the interview from the moment I received the appointment. That scares me quite a bit.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Is there some reason you do not just get married to your partner? "Working towards common law" is meaningless, I believe, from a legal point of view.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
alright, that sounds good! I just hope I have time to schedule a flight in time to attend the interview from the moment I received the appointment. That scares me quite a bit.
You are getting a bit ahead of yourself. First wait until you see if you get restoration.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Can you apply for a common law relationship if you're still legally separated? Can someone confirm this?

I'm assuming that means you're still married to someone else?

AlexZ92

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
Can you apply for a common law relationship if you're still legally separated? Can someone confirm this?

Actually yes, I already looked into it. I’ve been separated for years. There’s nothing stopping me from applying for PR in a common law relationship.
initially I thought this wasn’t possible that’s why my partner and I took awhile trying to figure out a way for us to be together in Canada.

I already paid the $1040 PR fee, I just need to get my physical exams done, get my criminal record certificates from my homeland, translate those and wait until I have enough evidence of common law relationship in November.

that’s why the visitor extension refusal is a big deal for us

Last edited:

kmychan

Jun 20, 2020
Actually yes, I already looked into it. I’ve been separated for years. There’s nothing stopping me from applying for PR in a common law relationship.
initially I thought this wasn’t possible that’s why my partner and I took awhile trying to figure out a way for us to be together in Canada.

I already paid the $1040 PR fee, I just need to get my physical exams done, get my criminal record certificates from my homeland, translate those and wait until I have enough evidence of common law relationship in November.

that’s why the visitor extension refusal is a big deal for us
[/QUOTE

@AlexZ92 my partner and I are in the exact same position as you. I do not want my partner to leave as he would have higher risks of catching Covid and that doesn’t sit right with me. His visitor extension was also denied and just like you we mentioned that due to Covid he cannot get the documents from his home country.

Many people have said hire a lawyer and go through them. What are your thoughts?

AlexZ92

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
@kmychan
I can’t even afford a lawyer. But since we are on the same boat we should keep each other informed of any changes.
Right now I’m just hoping my restoration will be approved. If not then I’ll have to risk it and apply outland (while actually staying in Canada).
It’s stressful but I gotta try stay positive.

Reactions: kmychan

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Yes, you can certainly apply as common law while separated. Plenty of people here have done that. As long as you can show you have separated from your spouse - no issues.

kmychan

Jun 20, 2020
I can’t even afford a lawyer. But since we are on the same boat we should keep each other informed of any changes.
Right now I’m just hoping my restoration will be approved. If not then I’ll have to risk it and apply outland (while actually staying in Canada).
It’s stressful but I gotta try stay positive.
I 100% agree. This is stressful and heartbreaking as you want to be with your loved ones. My partner cannot physically leave the country even if he wanted to as flights to his home country have currently been cancelled. This is not what we were expecting. So you will apply for restoration with the advice from this forum? This is giving me hope, I contacted some lawyers but they are so expensive. I’m the only one working right now, as my partner cannot.

Thank you for your reply and I hope everything works out for the both of us.

Reactions: AlexZ92

AlexZ92

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
I 100% agree. This is stressful and heartbreaking as you want to be with your loved ones. My partner cannot physically leave the country even if he wanted to as flights to his home country have currently been cancelled. This is not what we were expecting. So you will apply for restoration with the advice from this forum? This is giving me hope, I contacted some lawyers but they are so expensive. I’m the only one working right now, as my partner cannot.

Thank you for your reply and I hope everything works out for the both of us.
same, my partner is the only one working right now.
I will apply for restoration as soon as possible, probably within the next 2 weeks and see how it goes from there.

I have hope, I’m keeping it positive! Everything will work out just fine! :)

kmychan

Jun 20, 2020
@scylla what is the likelihood of our restorations being granted when we state in the letter that we will apply for common law? This could either go really well or horribly wrong.