+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Extension Questions

Chutsk10

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
Hi All,

My wife is currently in Canada on a TRV and we submit her PR application back in June, 2020. Like many affected by the COVID delays we have not yet received AOR. Her status expires September 16, 2020 and we are in the process of submitting a visitor extension. I had a few questions regarding the process.

1) Is it better/easier to apply for less or more than 6 months? Hopefully 6 more months is enough time to get AOR and/or work permit but who really knows how long it will take. I am thinking it would be better to apply for 12 months to avoid having to possibly submit another extension in 6 months time but if it is less likely to be approved I'd be fine going for 6 months...thoughts?

2) When going through the online checklist to start the application it asks "Are you accompanying a family member who has status in Canada"? I am a little confused on the answer to this, no one is/will be accompanying my wife as part of the application, however my wife is living with/accompanying me, a Citizen, while she stays in Canada.

3) I've looked through the application and it looks pretty straight forward, it doesn't ask for too many documents, but I recall reading somewhere that we need to still demonstrate strong ties to her home country, similar to the TRV application, is this true? At this point in the process her home ties are pretty weak....

4) Although not required, I figure a cover letter will help strengthen the application. What kind of information should we include? Do we explain we have an inland PR application in progress? Can we explain that although travel restrictions are lifting the chances of COVID exposure on airlines are high and my wife doesn't want to risk travelling? Do we have to explain she has dual intent, that she is a genuine visitor until we hear back on the PR application and will follow the required actions pending the result? Some general guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Depends where you travel to/from, the covid exposure on airlines is not high as long as everyone maintains a good hygiene and wears a non medical mask.

hydrakanth

Star Member
Aug 17, 2020
1. Better to ask for no more than 6 month extension. As a TRV holder your wife is only allowed to stay in Canada for not more than 6 months at a time. Ask for 5 months, and you usually get 6 months extension.

2. How did she come to Canada in the first place. Did she accompany you on a TRV? Or did she come alone on TRV to join you in Canada. If she came alone, I guess the answer will be NO. But she has a family member (husband) in Canada so you have to choose an appropriate answer in the next set of questions.

3. Make sure to show that her sponsor has enough funds to support her for the extension period (Bank balance in Canada, employment letter, health insurance etc.). You may also have to resubmit all the documents you submitted as part of her first TRV application back home.

4. If she is your wife and you are a Canadian citizen, how is she going to be a 'genuine visitor' ? Did you mention that you applied for PR in your original TRV visa application?

Chutsk10

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
We were not married, nor did she have a PR application in place at the time of securing her TRV so it was not mentioned.

I guess by 'genuine visitor' I mean she is not working, not studying and although she wishes to remain as a PR and we submit an application she will leave Canada if the PR application is rejected. Although it's true, her life is in Canada now and her ties to her home country are non-existent besides family.

The whole idea of applying inland and demonstrating that you live in Canada while on a TRV which at it's core means you are not supposed to live in Canada somewhat eludes me.

Anyway thanks for the reply. We submit the extension application today so we'll see what happens.

Bacrs

Star Member
Oct 19, 2018
We were not married, nor did she have a PR application in place at the time of securing her TRV so it was not mentioned.

I guess by 'genuine visitor' I mean she is not working, not studying and although she wishes to remain as a PR and we submit an application she will leave Canada if the PR application is rejected. Although it's true, her life is in Canada now and her ties to her home country are non-existent besides family.

The whole idea of applying inland and demonstrating that you live in Canada while on a TRV which at it's core means you are not supposed to live in Canada somewhat eludes me.

Anyway thanks for the reply. We submit the extension application today so we'll see what happens.
Your situation is similar to mine, I'm currently waiting for AOR my husband is sponsoring me. I came here last year as a visitor, we got married and applied this year for PR. How many months did you end up requesting? You do have the possibility to request a year, i didso last year and was granted 12 months. I recently applied for another 12 months but kinda worried this time as is my 2nd time requesting

Chutsk10

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
We just requested 6 months. I thought if we requested for a year she would be required to undergo a medical exam and we didn't want to bother. Hopefully 6 months is enough for her to get the OWP, or at least AOR, but who knows.

When you applied previously did you explain in the application that you have a PR application in progress?

Bacrs

Star Member
Oct 19, 2018
We just requested 6 months. I thought if we requested for a year she would be required to undergo a medical exam and we didn't want to bother. Hopefully 6 months is enough for her to get the OWP, or at least AOR, but who knows.

When you applied previously did you explain in the application that you have a PR application in progress?
No as we didnt have the marriage certificate yet we couldn't apply, I just explained my intentions of applying and showed our statement of marriage. Strangely I was not requested a medical exam that time, I have no idea why but I'm fairly sure they'll request one this time but is my understanding the medical exam lasts a year and can be used for PR. This time I explained we are waiting for AOR, gave our marriage certificate and the PR application fee receipt. I hope everything turns out well :)