+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor extension for the spousal sponsorship

IMDG

Mar 29, 2020
Hi. We're planning to submit a spousal sponsorship soon and we're waiting for my visitor extension since I can't go home to my country because of COVID19. Is it possible to process my spousal sponsorship without the extension?

If not, can I reapply for extension since it will be over 6months and there is no decision made on extension?

Any insight would be helpful.

bian07

May 19, 2017
You have implied status until you receive a decision made on the extension. Reapplying after 6 months wouldnt do anything besides wasting money.

IMDG

Mar 29, 2020
You have implied status until you receive a decision made on the extension. Reapplying after 6 months wouldnt do anything besides wasting money.
So it's just ok to wait even the processing time exceeds?

CanadianCatLady

Star Member
Jul 5, 2020
This is true as long as you’re applying inland. No implied status if applying outland (probably seems obvious but just thought I’d add). Good luck!

IMDG

Mar 29, 2020
This is true as long as you’re applying inland. No implied status if applying outland (probably seems obvious but just thought I’d add). Good luck!
I'm confused that is why I asked. Because no one is guiding us and we're afraid to make the wrong move on applying

CanadianCatLady

Star Member
Jul 5, 2020
I'm confused that is why I asked. Because no one is guiding us and we're afraid to make the wrong move on applying
I agree the process is confusing. My first suggestion would be to decide if you’re applying outland or inland. If you are already in Canada and planning on staying here while your PR application pends, then I would suggest inland. That way I believe you have implied status. You can also start working once you receive your open work permit. Neither of these things are possible if you apply outland.

IMDG

Mar 29, 2020
I agree the process is confusing. My first suggestion would be to decide if you’re applying outland or inland. If you are already in Canada and planning on staying here while your PR application pends, then I would suggest inland. That way I believe you have implied status. You can also start working once you receive your open work permit. Neither of these things are possible if you apply outland.
We talked to the MP before and he suggested outland since trv holders have unstable status for inland. That is why we planned that I go home for outland but covid19 happened.

bian07

May 19, 2017
My comment is regarding a visitor extension, which you cant apply for when you're outland anyway.

IMDG

Mar 29, 2020
My comment is regarding a visitor extension, which you cant apply for when you're outland anyway.
I'm confused. I'm inside canada and they said I can apply outland via family class. They use that option when you have trv. That is why I am extending.

bian07

May 19, 2017
I'm confused. I'm inside canada and they said I can apply outland via family class. They use that option when you have trv. That is why I am extending.
Yeah you can apply outland while in canada. I just meant that when you are outside of canada you cant apply for that

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
[/
doesn't matter whether you apply inland or outland, as long as you are inside Canada, you are required to maintain legal status, and you can do so by applying to extend your stay as visitor. If you applied 6 months ago, and have not received any response (not so strange nowadays) you can try and raise a query via webfrom or call IRCC. By the way, what is the status shown on your extension application (GCKEY)?

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
They would have implied status even if they applied outland while in Canada, as long as they applied to extend their stay as visitor or restore status.

IMDG

Mar 29, 2020
doesn't matter whether you apply inland or outland, as long as you are inside Canada, you are required to maintain legal status, and you can do so by applying to extend your stay as visitor. If you applied 6 months ago, and have not received any response (not so strange nowadays) you can try and raise a query via webfrom or call IRCC. By the way, what is the status shown on your extension application (GCKEY)?
I've been monitoring it. My medical for my previous application last January that was approved until March was just updated last June. I reapplied my extension this February because it ended March. My next application supposedly will be this August. Should I reapply again before 6months ends?

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
I've been monitoring it. My medical for my previous application last January that was approved until March was just updated last June. I reapplied my extension this February because it ended March. My next application supposedly will be this August. Should I reapply again before 6months ends?
Not sure I understood you well. You applied for an extension in January, and it was approved till March, and in February you applied for another extension is that correct? I am assuming you asked for 6 months and hence the assumption that if approved it will end in August? Either way, you cannot apply for another extension before you receive the decision on the one that they are still processing. You have implied status until a decision is made on your application to extend stay

If the application is rejected you might end up having to apply for restoration.
If its approved, it will depend on how many days/months they approve it for.
Also depending on the visa officer, they might approve the extension giving you 6 months from when you submitted (February -august), or giving you 6 months from when it was approved (for instance July - Jan 2021).
So you really need to wait for the decision to know what your next steps will be.

If you have not yet submitted the PR application, you might want to consider which route is best for you. Just note that inland application makes you eligible for Open work permit

Last edited:
Reactions: canuck78

IMDG

Mar 29, 2020
Not sure I understood you well. You applied for an extension in January, and it was approved till March, and in February you applied for another extension is that correct? I am assuming you asked for 6 months and hence the assumption that if approved it will end in August? Either way, you cannot apply for another extension before you receive the decision on the one that they are still processing. You have implied status until a decision is made on your application to extend stay

If the application is rejected you might end up having to apply for restoration.
If its approved, it will depend on how many days/months they approve it for.
Also depending on the visa officer, they might approve the extension giving you 6 months from when you submitted (February -august), or giving you 6 months from when it was approved (for instance July - Jan 2021).
So you really need to wait for the decision to know what your next steps will be.

If you have not yet submitted the PR application, you might want to consider which route is best for you. Just note that inland application makes you eligible for Open work permit
Thanks for the insight. Our only problem with inland is that we're afraid of the appeal when we get rejected.