Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
A lot of the advice you are being given is very good. I just want to say be very careful what you do with the PR process. You only get one shot at this so you don't want to do it rushing into it. I say just wait to hear back from your extension and then once that has passed, plan what your next move will be. By the way the one and only time I crossed Canada I was with my then BF flying back to his home with him from my home in the US. They only gave me 3 and a half months to stay but then again I was naive and did not give them any assurance that I would be leaving. I think in my opinion when I look back on it, I should have been turned around but they were nice and must have noticed that it was my first time. They then gave me a visitor record, stamp in my passport, and wrote the date I had to leave below the stamp. They explained that if I wanted to stay longer that I needed to apply for an extension and how to do it. The first time I applied for an extension I messed up but was lucky enough to have an IO that called me to give me her fax number so I could fax the information that I was missing. I was then approved for 6 months. During the wait for the first extension I was actually so nervous of being separated from my BF that I would have panic attacks, start shaking bad, and pass out. Yeah, very bad experience but all in all I laughed at myself later for realizing I have nothing to worry about.

Then later I applied for a second extension. Many people said that what I wrote on it that I wouldn't get approved but I was honest and truthful. I supplied all I could to back up my reasonings. I later found out I was approved for it a few days after my birthday and proposal. I was ecstatic because I was nervous that I would not be given enough time to marry in the summer. Hubby and I had not been officially engaged yet but we had talked about marriage plans for the summer so in the extension I explained that we had a wedding planned for the summer as well as wanting to send off our application in the summer inland. As stated everyone told me that my reason that I put would cause me to be refused but in fact I wasn't. In all, every extension and PR app is a chance and you just have to take it. Now that you have already submitted your application you just need to spend this extra time relaxing with your GF and wait for the decision to come. Once it has THEN decide on your next step but please don't rush into this. You need to go into this PR process with a clear head and time on your side. For now you don't know what the decision will be but you are lucky to have this time with your GF no matter what so enjoy it because some don't get it. You have done what you can do and the rest is out of your hands. I am still sure the answer will be in your favor especially if you supplied enough evidence. Beyond how we think sometimes, the IO's aren't heartless. Sorry for this long post but I hope taking the time to explain my experience will give you comfort in your own.

Also, your previous visit to Canada may have flagged you into the system but that doesn't mean you aren't allowed to be admitted again. You may just have to go to secondary inspection more than you feel comfortable with. They should only ask a few questions. Only give them the answer they are looking forward, no more no less and always be truthful. They appreciate that. Bring evidence to show that you are a temporary resident and will be willing and able to travel back when needed. Also, I can't remember if you said you were from the US but if you are, maybe you should look into NEXUS card. I hear that has helped many spouses and partners crossing back and forth across the border to visit each other. Maybe this would be of some interest to you. Again sorry for the long post and hopefully you continue to gain more helpful advice. Good luck with everything.

acer925

Star Member
Jan 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Love_Young said:
A lot of the advice you are being given is very good. I just want to say be very careful what you do with the PR process. You only get one shot at this so you don't want to do it rushing into it. I say just wait to hear back from your extension and then once that has passed, plan what your next move will be. By the way the one and only time I crossed Canada I was with my then BF flying back to his home with him from my home in the US. They only gave me 3 and a half months to stay but then again I was naive and did not give them any assurance that I would be leaving. I think in my opinion when I look back on it, I should have been turned around but they were nice and must have noticed that it was my first time. They then gave me a visitor record, stamp in my passport, and wrote the date I had to leave below the stamp. They explained that if I wanted to stay longer that I needed to apply for an extension and how to do it. The first time I applied for an extension I messed up but was lucky enough to have an IO that called me to give me her fax number so I could fax the information that I was missing. I was then approved for 6 months. During the wait for the first extension I was actually so nervous of being separated from my BF that I would have panic attacks, start shaking bad, and pass out. Yeah, very bad experience but all in all I laughed at myself later for realizing I have nothing to worry about.

Then later I applied for a second extension. Many people said that what I wrote on it that I wouldn't get approved but I was honest and truthful. I supplied all I could to back up my reasonings. I later found out I was approved for it a few days after my birthday and proposal. I was ecstatic because I was nervous that I would not be given enough time to marry in the summer. Hubby and I had not been officially engaged yet but we had talked about marriage plans for the summer so in the extension I explained that we had a wedding planned for the summer as well as wanting to send off our application in the summer inland. As stated everyone told me that my reason that I put would cause me to be refused but in fact I wasn't. In all, every extension and PR app is a chance and you just have to take it. Now that you have already submitted your application you just need to spend this extra time relaxing with your GF and wait for the decision to come. Once it has THEN decide on your next step but please don't rush into this. You need to go into this PR process with a clear head and time on your side. For now you don't know what the decision will be but you are lucky to have this time with your GF no matter what so enjoy it because some don't get it. You have done what you can do and the rest is out of your hands. I am still sure the answer will be in your favor especially if you supplied enough evidence. Beyond how we think sometimes, the IO's aren't heartless. Sorry for this long post but I hope taking the time to explain my experience will give you comfort in your own.

Also, your previous visit to Canada may have flagged you into the system but that doesn't mean you aren't allowed to be admitted again. You may just have to go to secondary inspection more than you feel comfortable with. They should only ask a few questions. Only give them the answer they are looking forward, no more no less and always be truthful. They appreciate that. Bring evidence to show that you are a temporary resident and will be willing and able to travel back when needed. Also, I can't remember if you said you were from the US but if you are, maybe you should look into NEXUS card. I hear that has helped many spouses and partners crossing back and forth across the border to visit each other. Maybe this would be of some interest to you. Again sorry for the long post and hopefully you continue to gain more helpful advice. Good luck with everything.
wow, thanks for sharing that. Yea I heard about the nexus card, im gonna look into that. I spoke with CBSA and they told me if I got denied I would have about a month to leave Canada and it wouldnt matter if we got married in that time. But I forgot to mention what if I apply for PR in that time if I would get implied status, im gonna call them back today and see.It's like they hold your relationship completely seperate from your travel status. I'll repost after I speak with them today. Thanks again for sharing that and taking the time. :)

acer925

Star Member
Jan 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well I talked to the people at the actual border, they said if I go back to the states before I hear back from my application for extension, I wont be allowed back in b/c right now I have implied status. I also spoke to CBSA and they said if my app. gets denied, I can apply for PR if I want BUT that would NOT grant me access to stay in Canada during that time b/c It's my responsibility to keep my status valid at all times. This really is a worry for me b/c I would love to know beforehand if my extension will get denied or accepted before we do the sponsorship or marry and apply for my PR. This is exactly what I mean when I say the government forces you to get married. I dont know what to do!! Any suggestions??

Stumpedmom

Sep 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/03/2011 Receivd CPC-M
AOR Received.
16/06/2011
File Transfer...
06/05/2011 Received in Buffalo, 06/2011 to Los Angeles
Med's Done....
12/10/2010
Interview........
waived...obviously cuz we got the PPR
Passport Req..
16/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
24/8/2011 in our hands 8/29/2011
LANDED..........
3/9/2011
acer925 said:
Only at that border too, I went across from a different border last time and they were much nicer. The Detroit-Windsor border is full of guys on power trips.
I have had the same experience at the Detroit Windsor border. My now husband used to fly in and out of Detroit as it was much cheaper. The last time that we came back, we were sent into secondary, he had to prove that he had enough money, that he was returning, and had a return flight and he was only coming over for a week. The other thing that they gave us a hassle about was the fact that he had nothing to declare as he was only bringing his clothing for a week.

I would recommend if you you are flying, and can afford the bit extra, fly into Canada. Its a lot more of a drive for me to pick him up, but so much less of a hassle. Either that, or I am assuming the other border would likely be the Port Huron-Sarnia border I would try that route if possible, as I do agree that the CBSA agents the the Detroit-Windsor crossing on the Canadian side are on a power trip!!! JMO