+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor extension denial and possible PR complications

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
Hi, got a question about a family member. They're currently in Canada as a visitor and have already had 1 visitor extension which is expiring soon. In the meantime, there was a job opportunity, so now waiting for an LMIA to go through, which should be anytime now. I don't want her to stay here without status, so will apply for a second extension before the current one expires.

My question: if the LMIA is delayed and the extension answer comes back negative and she goes back to our home country, will that refusal cause any trouble with a possible PR application? Asking because I do remember there's a question if "you've been refused entry or asked to leave Canada". What would she answer in that case?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
no, previous denials of entry ALONE don't have a negative affect on a current pr application unless that person has been banned from canada, and currently can't enter for a certain period of time. until that ban is lifted, their pr application will be on hold.

in regards to answering the question if you've ever been refused entry. the applicant MUST be honest, and again, it doesn't not ALONE negatively affect the application. NOT answering truthfully WILL have a negative impact, as that is called misrepresentation. I received an exclusion order for 1 year, and had to answer "yes" to that question in my pr application AND at landing. No issue what so ever with my approval. The pr application overrides any previous issues, as that is the purpose of PR - to seek entry the correct way with permission of the canadian government.

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
Thanks for the answer! +1

Just to make it clear though she's already in Canada with valid status. I'm just not sure if we apply for an extension and she leaves *before* the answer (while still on implied status) but when it arrives, it's a negative one. Is it considered "having been asked to leave Canada?"

Although from your answer, I take it you'd suggest answering "yes" anyway and explaining the reason, right?