+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor extension before pr application

Lulu_434

Feb 23, 2012
Hey guys! really need some help here!
I'm in the final stages and about to send off our outland spousal application for pr. However my working holiday visa expires on the 30th of december this year...
I have a tripped booked to leave the country to the states for a short visit before it expires and intended on coming back as a visitor (I will still have about 10 days left on my work visa when I come back)
But now I don't know what form to apply with! Am I applying to extend or change my conditions as a visitor? Or should I just apply for an initial visitor visa and get it instated when I come back from my trip??
Im nervous I will get an extension and then leave on my trip and won't be allowed back in!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
are you a US citizen? if so, technically you can not apply for a visitor's visa since you are visa exempt. your entry would be subject to the CBSA officer's discretion at the point of entry.

if you enter canada before your work visa expires, then you would want to apply to change your status to visitor online. assuming your work visa is not extendable, you wouldn't be able to apply to extend your status. you are seeking new status and want to change conditions.

Lulu_434

Feb 23, 2012
I'm not a US citizen, I accidentally posted under the wrong group! However I am Australian so I am also visa exempt.
Do I need to bother applying to change my conditions to visitor at all then if I don't need a visa to enter? Could I show proof of funds and pr application, in hope they would let me in as a visitor that way? Dependant on if I get a friendly border agent.
If my work permit had expired by then I would be less nervous, I just hope they will let me in as a visitor early, is that crazy to think?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
yes, you definitely need to apply to extend your stay and change your status if you don't intend to leave before your visa expires. if you are in canada when you visa expires and you don't extend, then you will be in canada illegally. if you plan to leave before your visa expires and return after, then your entry is subject to the CBSA officer you meet at entry, and there's really no reason to apply to extend your stay as a visitor.

Yes, showing proof of a PR application is good to have when crossing the border. Typically, they want to see ties to your home country, so showing them you have something to go back to is good to have to in case it comes up. It's also important to remember if your work permit expires, you are ONLY allowed to visit until otherwise approved. That means you want to use the right language at the border. "I am here to visit my spouse while my pr application gets processed". Using the terms "living" or "moving" can prompt further inspection from CBSA. Keep it simple, don't elaborate and only answer what is asked.