+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Extension - Applied for less than 6 mos extension but was given 1 year

chelsea

Sep 19, 2011
Just wanna share that might benefit others.

Applied for my mom's extension of stay as a regular visitor, 2 days prior to expiry. Applied for less than 6 months in the form, and got approved for 1 year. I think that's how they do it now based on some other posts.

There is an outstanding medical request though which was received prior to approval. And it has to be completed within 30 days, which my mom will comply with.

Rayfah

Star Member
Oct 31, 2019

Applied for my mom's extension of stay as a regular visitor, 2 days prior to expiry. Applied for less than 6 months in the form, and got approved for 1 year. I think that's how they do it now based on some other posts.

There is an outstanding medical request though which was received prior to approval. And it has to be completed within 30 days, which my mom will comply with.
Hi! Just want to know how long it took for your mother to receive the approval?

chelsea

Sep 19, 2011
My mother’s eligibility started the day after I applied (November 15th). Her current stay expires on December 22nd. Haven’t heard anything yet
Your mom is on "implied status" until she receives a decision on her application for extension.

I was surprised too as I was expecting like 5 or 6 months online processing. 10th day from app, she received med req, and 2 days after is the 1 year extension approval while med is still pending.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your mom is on "implied status" until she receives a decision on her application for extension.

I was surprised too as I was expecting like 5 or 6 months online processing. 10th day from app, she received med req, and 2 days after is the 1 year extension approval while med is still pending.
Processing time likely depends on what Passport the parent has. Due to large backlogs assume they are generally giving 1 year extensions or refusals/30 days if parents have already spent significant time in Canada. Applying for multiple 6 month extensions will just clog up the system more.

VR_G1I

Dec 5, 2022

Hi, i am trying to apply for both of my parents, should i do it separate application for both or should it be one ? Please let me know

Skapure

Dec 13, 2022
Did you apply for an extension within Canada?
As per IRCC website we should apply 30 days before visitor visa expiry ? I need to apply extension for my 1 year kid who’s visitor visa expiring this month.

VR_G1I

Dec 5, 2022
Hi, Yes, I have applied for my parents last week their validity is expiring next month first week

chelsea

Sep 19, 2011
Did you apply for an extension within Canada?
As per IRCC website we should apply 30 days before visitor visa expiry ? I need to apply extension for my 1 year kid who’s visitor visa expiring this month.
Yes, applied from within Canada, 2 days before expiry.

Reactions: Skapure

Sb_93

Nov 8, 2020
Hi! Great information.
Can you please tell what are the important documents to be considered when applying or Visitor's record ?
My spouse visa is valid for 10 years but it is about to be 5 months since she landed in Canada. According to IRCC you can only stay for a duration of 6 months on one visit.

1. Her visa is still good for 10 years but i need to apply for Visitor's record, Right ?
2. What are the important docs to consider when applying for visitor's record ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi! Great information.
Can you please tell what are the important documents to be considered when applying or Visitor's record ?
My spouse visa is valid for 10 years but it is about to be 5 months since she landed in Canada. According to IRCC you can only stay for a duration of 6 months on one visit.

1. Her visa is still good for 10 years but i need to apply for Visitor's record, Right ?
What is your status in Canada? Spouses aren’t normally true visitors unless you have already applied for sponsorship.

harry90

Dec 18, 2022
Hi! Great information.

Yes you need to apply for an extension assuming she is on multiple entry TRV visitors visa. Usually it shd be done 4 weeks before expiry.. My last application took 7 months for approval. Applied in march 22, got approved in Oct '22 with validity of stay until dec'22.

You need to show bank documents for financial support, and accommodation support.

Sb_93

Nov 8, 2020
Yes you need to apply for an extension assuming she is on multiple entry TRV visitors visa. Usually it shd be done 4 weeks before expiry.. My last application took 7 months for approval. Applied in march 22, got approved in Oct '22 with validity of stay until dec'22.

You need to show bank documents for financial support, and accommodation support.
I (her husband) will be providing the financial support. There is no such question or forms required that specifies or ask if "Who will be sponsoring this trip" like it was when we applied for her TRV originally.

Q: Should i just upload my Bank statement in this section without specifying anything ?: "Proof of Means of Financial Support (required)"

harry90

Dec 18, 2022
I (her husband) will be providing the financial support. There is no such question or forms required that specifies or ask if "Who will be sponsoring this trip" like it was when we applied for her TRV originally.

Q: Should i just upload my Bank statement in this section without specifying anything ?: "Proof of Means of Financial Support (required)"
Yes thats right. You can write a letter along with that saying you're providing boarding and lodging plus health insurance and other financial needs.
I mentioned @500 per month in my case.

Make 1 page document with bank statements on its 2nd page showing enough funds for urself and her needs. If funds r not enough in the bank u can include your income stmt/ pay stub in the same document.

And upload that single document as proof.

Reactions: Sb_93