+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor at CBSA

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
Hello members,

I wonder what questions are asked at CBSA after the visitor lands in Canada for the first time? Do they determine how long you can stay for that visit in Canada and is it different for each visit? and is this period of stay determined by the time period in submitted at the time of applying TRV? I thought that every visitor in Canada has up to 6 months to stay for each visit.

FYI, I am going to apply for a spouse visit visa and my spouse is working on PGWP in Canada.

Thank you

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello members,

I wonder what questions are asked at CBSA after the visitor lands in Canada for the first time? Do they determine how long you can stay for that visit in Canada and is it different for each visit? and is this period of stay determined by the time period in submitted at the time of applying TRV? I thought that every visitor in Canada has up to 6 months to stay for each visit.

FYI, I am going to apply for a spouse visit visa and my spouse is working on PGWP in Canada.

Thank you
No it's not determined at the time you applied for TRV. It's the discretion of the immigration officer at the port of entry.

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
No it's not determined at the time you applied for TRV. It's the discretion of the immigration officer at the port of entry.
ok and is it a different time period each time we visit Canada as a visitor or only the first time?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
and for how long do they normally allow visitor to stay? So if a visitor say they are here for 2 weeks, would they only allow 2 weeks or more ?
If they write a specific date on the passport, then the visitor can only stay in Canada up to this date. Otherwise if no date is specified, then up to 6 months.

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
If they write a specific date on the passport, then the visitor can only stay in Canada up to this date. Otherwise if no date is specified, then up to 6 months.
Thank you! I am just wondering normally do they write dates and for how long would it be? My spouse would be coming to Canada for my birthday for the first time and at the time of applying, she mentioned she would stay for 2 weeks but at the port of entry if she says 2 months, would it be a problem?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you! I am just wondering normally do they write dates and for how long would it be? My spouse would be coming to Canada for my birthday for the first time and at the time of applying, she mentioned she would stay for 2 weeks but at the port of entry if she says 2 months, would it be a problem?
It impossible to say w he at will happen when she arrives. A large proportion of people get the full 6 months but it has a lot to do with your profile like how much funds you have, what is the reason for your visit, what proof do you have of ties to your home country like a job that you need to return to, a property or lease, etc. and it also comes down to luck. There isn’t much you can do about it although if you are coming to visit don’t carry items that you would need to be employed in Canada and don’t be corresponding with people talking about permanent move and working in Canada.

nmatter

May 12, 2019
I get every time 06 month stay (no stamp from CBSA) even I declared my stay period 15 days every time (with specific departure date in declaration card)

so I think only matter is your intention

raman2care

Jun 18, 2021
Just queries in mind ..
1. if a visitor visa is applied along with family or spouse & after getting Visas only one travel,...

Do the immigration officer at port of entry have details of our visitor visa application details

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
I get every time 06 month stay (no stamp from CBSA) even I declared my stay period 15 days every time (with specific departure date in declaration card)

so I think only matter is your intention
Thank you! What questions do they ask at port of entry and what do you tell them the reason for your visit?

Kiva667

May 9, 2019
I have a question concerning my mother in law who is coming back with us soon to stay for a month. Do CBSA have the details of the application on their computers? Or should I have details of funds, travel insurance etc on hand in my phone when we arrive? And is there wifi in the Customs area? My Canadian phone won't be turned back on till the day after we arrive since the trip to the west coast where we live takes 2 days.

nmatter

May 12, 2019
Thank you! What questions do they ask at port of entry and what do you tell them the reason for your visit?
Luckily every time ask only two question
Why are you here
How many days I am going to stay and one time they check my return ticket as well.

so far I visited 6 time in 4 years