+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting US; want a visa to visit Canada

a980

Jun 15, 2009
Hi all,

My Indian friends are visiting US (New York) and want to come visit me and my family in Canada (Toronto). There is no time (given the festival week in India) to apply for a Canadian visa in India because they are flying out next week.

Can they arrive in NY and then apply for a Canadian tourist visa that will enable them to come and stay with me for 2 days? They have a 10-yr multiple entry US visa so going back to the US to get their flight back to India shouldn't be a problem. But I wd love it if they can stay at least a day with me. Does anyone know if the process of acquiring a temporary visitor visa to Canada from NY is time-consuming or painful? I assume they will have to pay 75$ each for a single-entry visa, no? Is there any other option?

Thanks for your help!
a980

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
a980 said:
Hi all,

My Indian friends are visiting US (New York) and want to come visit me and my family in Canada (Toronto). There is no time (given the festival week in India) to apply for a Canadian visa in India because they are flying out next week.

Can they arrive in NY and then apply for a Canadian tourist visa that will enable them to come and stay with me for 2 days? They have a 10-yr multiple entry US visa so going back to the US to get their flight back to India shouldn't be a problem. But I wd love it if they can stay at least a day with me. Does anyone know if the process of acquiring a temporary visitor visa to Canada from NY is time-consuming or painful? I assume they will have to pay 75$ each for a single-entry visa, no? Is there any other option?

Thanks for your help!
a980
Buffalo has a same-day processing.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/buffalo/imm/visa_temp.aspx?lang=eng

GernalJuma

Dec 11, 2012
Indians visiting US on B1/B2 visa can apply for a Canadian TRV (visit visa) from the US. If you're applying from New York, please keep in mind the following (no one told us so thought I'd share)

1. Apply in person and they will ask you to come back in two days to collect your passport. IMPORTANT: This is the only way to get your visa stamped in one day; you cannot collect it same day anymore.

2. Submit a pre-paid self-addressed USPS (no FedEx or UPS) envelope to have them return your passport. If you choose to have it mailed to you they will take roughly the average processing time listed on the CIC website.

Hope this helps someone

canadafromus

May 22, 2015
Hi, saw your post.. My parents are in the same situation now.. Are visiting US and wish to visit Canada as tourists along with my brother who works in teh US.. You have mentioned the NY consulate.. Does this work just as fast in the consulate at SFO too?!?!

@a980, did your friends visit you?!? :)

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadafromus said:
Hi, saw your post.. My parents are in the same situation now.. Are visiting US and wish to visit Canada as tourists along with my brother who works in teh US.. You have mentioned the NY consulate.. Does this work just as fast in the consulate at SFO too?!?!

@ a980, did your friends visit you?!? :)
He made the post 6 years ago so I hope you aren't checking here waiting for an answer.