+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting US and want to visit Canada;what should be country of residence in appl

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
Hi All,
I am a new Canadian Permanent Resident (did my landing on October 09th, 2016). I am currently back in the US where I am working with a company on H1B visa. My sister is visiting me currently on a B1/B2 (tourist) visa and her entry is valid for next 6 months. I plan to move to Canada in next 2 to 3 months. My sister also wishes to come with my family to Canada as a visitor, without having to go back to India. I am planning to apply for the Canada visitor's visa from the US itself (as it is possible to make the application online). While applying, one of the questions in the application is - What is your country of Residence and the help text on this question says - "Write Canada if you are currently in Canada. Applicant must mention the current country of residence even if it is different than the country of citizenship".

Though my sister is currently in the US, but on a visitor visa (she is not a permanent resident or does not have a work permit to work in the US). Should I enter the country of residence as US or India?

The answer to this particular question is important for the application as the required documentation for application varies based on the country of residence. This might also be important in determining the visa office to which your passport should be eventually sent for stamping.

Has anybody else faced a similar situation before?? Any information on this would be really helpful.

Thank you guys, appreciate your inputs!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Your sister is obviously a resident of India and I would say although others can comment as you have not actually settled in Canada beyond a landing your residence is in the US at this time.

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
Bs65 said:
Your sister is obviously a resident of India and I would say although others can comment as you have not actually settled in Canada beyond a landing your residence is in the US at this time.
Thanks for your response buddy! So in this case, I am a little confused on what information to fill in the country of residence. Also, since I have done my landing, I am officially a permanent resident (just awaiting my PR cards).