+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting the Embassy

ApplePie01

Jun 11, 2018
Just a quick question, I am the sponsor and I will be visiting my wife in Morocco in the coming weeks. Our application is about 7 months in process, and I was thinking I could visit the Canadian Embassy in Rabat while I’m there to get a status update on our application. Anyone ever do this? I know they won’t tell me probably too much but maybe it would kickstart our app or is this something I should just forget about? Maybe the guys in Rabat don’t like these types of visits and would purposefully slow our app down? What do you guys think?

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
I don't think you'll get very far and it would probably be seen as an annoyance to the staff rather than a service they'd be willing to provide.

The target for non-complicated applications is full processing within 12 months. You're still well within that time period.

Have you ordered the GCMS notes relating to your application? This will probably give you more insights than a visit in my opinion.

ApplePie01

Jun 11, 2018
That’s what I am most concerned about. I just don’t want to get on their bad side. Our case is straightforward. They called my wife about one month ago and they were asking her simple questions mostly to confirm what was in the application already and they said they want the original police report and that they will send instructions how to send it. Since then we haven’t heard a word from them. I don’t want to order notes, it will just slow everything and I really don’t think there is anything that we could learn from it. I guess we are just antsy. Thanks for the quick reply!

ursus

Star Member
Mar 6, 2018
UK
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
16-02-2018
AOR Received.
29-03-2018
File Transfer...
26-04-2018
Med's Request
05-04-2018
Med's Done....
25-04-2018
Passport Req..
17-08-2018
That’s what I am most concerned about. I just don’t want to get on their bad side. Our case is straightforward. They called my wife about one month ago and they were asking her simple questions mostly to confirm what was in the application already and they said they want the original police report and that they will send instructions how to send it. Since then we haven’t heard a word from them. I don’t want to order notes, it will just slow everything and I really don’t think there is anything that we could learn from it. I guess we are just antsy. Thanks for the quick reply!
Does ordering notes slow things down? I haven't seen that on here.

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
Some people think it does because an officer has to go into the file, extract the information, and redact it; whereas others believe that this is not done by the officer but a separate office and it has no affect on the application whatsoever.

Some people have requested notes multiple times and reported here that it did not seem to significantly slow their application down when compared to others who applied at the same time to the same visa office.

It's up to you to decide.
I was always of the opinion that I wouldn't request notes until everything is done; just to satisfy my curiosity. However, I may decide to order them by the end of this month if I receive no updates or further information on my application (received January 15, processing in Mississauga).

ursus

Star Member
Mar 6, 2018
UK
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
16-02-2018
AOR Received.
29-03-2018
File Transfer...
26-04-2018
Med's Request
05-04-2018
Med's Done....
25-04-2018
Passport Req..
17-08-2018
Some people think it does because an officer has to go into the file, extract the information, and redact it; whereas others believe that this is not done by the officer but a separate office and it has no affect on the application whatsoever.

Some people have requested notes multiple times and reported here that it did not seem to significantly slow their application down when compared to others who applied at the same time to the same visa office.

It's up to you to decide.
I was always of the opinion that I wouldn't request notes until everything is done; just to satisfy my curiosity. However, I may decide to order them by the end of this month if I receive no updates or further information on my application (received January 15, processing in Mississauga).
Makes sense! I ordered mine out of curiousity (more impatient than you, I'm February 16 received and processing in Mississauga!). Can't imagine it would slow down an individual application (seems spiteful if it does!) but if it's the VO officers dealing with the requests rather than another office then I'd imagine it has a cumulative effect.

Shineon39

Dec 3, 2015
Yellowknife, Northwest territories
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Singapore
App. Filed.......
22-10-2015
Nomination.....
Csq received 26-01-2016
AOR Received.
11-12-2015 AOR2: 07-01-2016
File Transfer...
17-12-2015
Med's Done....
10-09-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2016
LANDED..........
02-09-2016
I ordered my note every 2 months while in the process (8 months) It didn't slowed down my processing time.

majesty

Feb 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
25-01-2017
AOR Received.
23-02-2017 (AOR 1); 26-05-2017 (AOR2)
File Transfer...
13/03/2017
Med's Done....
30-07-2016 (Passed)
From our own experience, when we went to the Canadian embassy in Argentina for our interview, you had to go through security (have your bag(s) scanned like at the airport) and then they would let you inside. You had to tell the security officer why you were there also. If you tell them that you just want to check on your application, they will likely send you away and tell you to call the IRCC help line, etc. if you don't have an appointment with someone. Unfortunately for some of us, it is going to take longer. Our application took 14 months to finalize. Hopefully yours will be done soon. Good luck.