+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting spouse/ going outside country during outland spousal application process

niravit57

Jul 3, 2020
But working from "home country" remotely is not "living in Canada". And living in Canada is one of the requirement for PR to sponsor.
Probably you didn't read this message above from philoj :

I asked IRCC this question on twitter and this was the response I got and I quote: “The sponsor could leave Canada for a temporary visit but in order for the application to be processed the sponsor must show that they reside in Canada. There is no formal limit on how long the sponsor can be outside Canada, Sorry we cannot be more specific. Thanks”

If IRCC says this it means "Living in Canada is NOT a strict requirement for PR to sponsor".

niravit57

Jul 3, 2020
But working from "home country" remotely is not "living in Canada". And living in Canada is one of the requirement for PR to sponsor.

What I am saying is there is no known hard rule on how many days that's acceptable to consider as NOT living in Canada.

So if someone want to take the chance, try it out and share the experience with memebers here, that would be wonderful.
I would say I liked your last edit to you reply. It sounds positive and you are being truthful here that IRCC hasn't specified any hard rule about "living in Canada" criteria (Rather than throwing a random 2-3 weeks duration number)
I hope that they would have specified it as it does matter to many applicants in this situation.

Dude29

Star Member
Dec 23, 2019
I am Canadian Citizen, thinking of going to India to stay with my spouse for 2-3 months. I have not received AOR1 yet but will wait for it before going. What's your thoughts on this?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Probably you didn't read this message above from philoj :

I asked IRCC this question on twitter and this was the response I got and I quote: “The sponsor could leave Canada for a temporary visit but in order for the application to be processed the sponsor must show that they reside in Canada. There is no formal limit on how long the sponsor can be outside Canada, Sorry we cannot be more specific. Thanks”

If IRCC says this it means "Living in Canada is NOT a strict requirement for PR to sponsor".
I disagree on how you understand the reply. "temporary visit" means visit. So PR can still be living/residing in Canada.
I did read the post.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I am Canadian Citizen, thinking of going to India to stay with my spouse for 2-3 months. I have not received AOR1 yet but will wait for it before going. What's your thoughts on this?
If you are a citizen, you can MOVE out of the country. They may require you to add proof that you will return to Canada.

edenfair

Star Member
Feb 29, 2020
I'm sorry but a pandemic is definitely not the time to be traveling for months with no exact plans or essential reasons. If people could just sit still for a few months, COVID wouldn't have blown up as much as it did. I was long distance with my boyfriend (now husband) for 6 years, doing 1 week visits once per year. That was in normal times. You can use video calls to communicate with your loved ones abroad. It sucks, it's really difficult when all you want to do is hug your loved ones. But this is in the interest of keeping yourself and others safe.

You went through the process to become a PR, permanent resident means you intend to live in Canada. That should be what you consider your home for now and the future. They have the preference for PRs to stay in Canada because they don't want people to have permanent residence but not even live in the country. They don't want someone to "get stuck" outside of Canada and try to appeal the residency requirement of 730 days in a 5 year period. If you were a citizen, it would be different because citizenship cannot be lost from not living in a country, but PR can be.

You are free to do what you want of course, but if you want to increase the chances of your application to go smoothly...just stay in Canada.

Reactions: cjr and YVR123

Dude29

Star Member
Dec 23, 2019
If you are a citizen, you can MOVE out of the country. They may require you to add proof that you will return to Canada.
Ok Thanks. Will a return flight ticket be sufficient for proof? I will be working from home in India for the same Canadian Company.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Ok Thanks. Will a return flight ticket be sufficient for proof? I will be working from home in India for the same Canadian Company.
I think that should be OK. They may not ask for proof. I would be more concern about getting a flight back and in case there is any delay, you may need to make special arrangement with your company. And also risk on travel during COVID.

philoj

Nov 29, 2018
Glad to read this. Can you specify the exact question you asked to IRCC on twitter ?
Is it for Sponsor who is PR / Citizen.

If you can share the link to your tweet here.

Thanks !
I asked as a PR. I plan to go visit my spouse and I have gotten different feedback. Some are in support other are not. I called IRCC and the person I spoke to said you can travel but am new to the process. The reason I asked on Twitter was to get written proof from IRCC in case something happens.

Reactions: niravit57

Dude29

Star Member
Dec 23, 2019
I think that should be OK. They may not ask for proof. I would be more concern about getting a flight back and in case there is any delay, you may need to make special arrangement with your company. And also risk on travel during COVID.
my company is pretty flexible. I am not sure if everyone here is aware that people are still travelling all around the world. Our Canadian Government themselves have said that travelling is allowed for essential services and they have specifically mentioned as visiting immediate family members is an essential service.

Reactions: niravit57

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I would say I liked your last edit to you reply. It sounds positive and you are being truthful here that IRCC hasn't specified any hard rule about "living in Canada" criteria (Rather than throwing a random 2-3 weeks duration number)
I hope that they would have specified it as it does matter to many applicants in this situation.
Given what many of us has seen on this forum we have seen people get refused starting at around the 1 month mark. I would tweet whether you can spend the next X months out of the country as a PR while applying for your spousal sponsorship and could that lead to a sponsorship refusal.

Super27

Star Member
Nov 24, 2020
Did anybody visit their spouse outside of Canada for 1-2 months without application being affected?My application has been in progress for 14 months now but is delayed due to Covid.

The Robust

Dec 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CAP REACHED
Doc's Request.
Applied in Express Entry
I am in the same situation. Did anyone travel for 1-2 months. Please share your experience.
did you get any updates on this? Kindly share