+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting relative before going to university

AliFakhoury

Sep 24, 2019
My university starts on January 6, and it is in Newfoundland.

However, I will be traveling on December 18th, to Ottowa, to visit my aunt for a couple of days and then travel to Newfoundland.

Will this be a problem? Should I prepare any extra documents?

Thank you!

MohamedMustafa456789

Star Member
Nov 11, 2019
My university starts on January 6, and it is in Newfoundland.

However, I will be traveling on December 18th, to Ottowa, to visit my aunt for a couple of days and then travel to Newfoundland.

Will this be a problem? Should I prepare any extra documents?

Thank you!
You're good to go, a friend of mine went around 3 weeks before university to visit his uncle in Toronto.
When you go through the immigration process when you land and have the border officer ask you a series of questions, make sure to let him/her know why you're here a bit early, that is totally fine anyways and chances are he/she will not ask you anyway.

AliFakhoury

Sep 24, 2019
A
You're good to go, a friend of mine went around 3 weeks before university to visit his uncle in Toronto.
When you go through the immigration process when you land and have the border officer ask you a series of questions, make sure to let him/her know why you're here a bit early, that is totally fine anyways and chances are he/she will not ask you anyway.
And his university wasn't in Toronto?

AliFakhoury

Sep 24, 2019
Hello, just in case someone comes back to this and wondered what happened.
Well, I had a connecting flight from Montreal to Ottowa, and I had to get my study permit from Montreal.

The officer was the nicest person I met, he didn't even ask why I was going to Ottowa before Newfoundland. He asked me some questions related to my studies, then he printed my study permit and told me some information about it, and said: "Welcome to Canada!".