+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting home country during the mandatory 2 years period. Is it allowed ?

bvpr

Apr 4, 2022
Hi,

I landed in Canada as a PR on 3rd July 2019 and I stayed until 7th July, 2019. After four days, I returned to the US as I was on a H1b Visa.

I came back to Canada on 28th April 2022 permanently and have been staying in Canada since then.

My PR expires on July 11, 2024.

Now I would like to go to my home country for about a month in June (June 2nd to June 31st) to see my grandmother who's sick.

By June 2nd, 2023 (when I will leave Canada for one month) I would have accumulated roughly 404 days of stay in Canada.

After coming back I will continue my stay in Canada for more than a year.

I need your comments on the following :

1. Is it OK to go out of Canada for a month (Accumulated only 404 days) or is it too risky?

2. What questions are expected from immigration when I return after a month away? Should I carry any documents to prove the ill health of my grandmother?

3. I'm hoping there will be no problem as I'm planning to wait an extra month before applying for my card renewal in 2024. Is that okay?

Need your advice on the above points please.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I landed in Canada as a PR on 3rd July 2019 and I stayed until 7th July, 2019. After four days, I returned to the US as I was on a H1b Visa.

I came back to Canada on 28th April 2022 permanently and have been staying in Canada since then.

My PR expires on July 11, 2024.

Now I would like to go to my home country for about a month in June (June 2nd to June 31st) to see my grandmother who's sick.

By June 2nd, 2023 (when I will leave Canada for one month) I would have accumulated roughly 404 days of stay in Canada.

After coming back I will continue my stay in Canada for more than a year.

I need your comments on the following :

1. Is it OK to go out of Canada for a month (Accumulated only 404 days) or is it too risky?

2. What questions are expected from immigration when I return after a month away? Should I carry any documents to prove the ill health of my grandmother?

3. I'm hoping there will be no problem as I'm planning to wait an extra month before applying for my card renewal in 2024. Is that okay?

PR doesn’t expire your PR card expires. You must meet the 730 days in 5 years from your landing date. Some get confused and focus on meeting their 730 days by the expiry date of their PR card. It is very unusual for a PR card expiry date to coincide with 5 years from a landing date. PR card often expires around 2 months from the 5 years from your landing date. There is always a risk of leaving Canada if you are not compliant with your RO. The risk of being reported decreases If you are close to meeting your RO. When people chose to delay moving until 3 years from landing it is viewed as a choice so there is a lot less sympathy if you then have/want to leave. A larger buffer is always recommended like moving the Canada with 2.5 years left to compPete your RO to account for emergencies and business/leisure travel.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

1. Only you can decide if it's too risky. BUT: first calculate whether you have (will have on day of return) been out of Canada more than 1095 days or not. If you have not been out more than that, you are in compliance still. (Note this may leave you with very little buffer 9n case of future need to travel). [By my quick calc you will not have been out more than 1095 days but - do the math! - which is why I'm not going into the risks. There are also plenty of threads on that.]

2. They may inquire usual stuff about your residence etc. If you're in compliance, no need to worry, nor to carry docs to prove.

3. Of course. If you don't need to travel, there are very few thigns you'd need a card for.