+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting home country after study completion? Please help!

harmol

Jul 25, 2017
Hi Everyone, I am a student and will be finishing my course in december.
I want to know can I got back to my home country (India) for few days after my exams are done , and then come back and apply for the the PGWP?
My study visa and study permit, both expires in March 2020.

I have heard that at airport I might have a problem and the officials might now allow me to enter Canada because my studies are completed. is this true? Has anybody done this before. Please advise .

2b.or.not.2b

Dec 3, 2018
You can definitely visit your home country and return back to Canada as long as you.have a valid TRV.
I came to Canada in 2017 and have completed my course this June. I have visited my home country twice in this period once during the course of my studies and once after I graduated. Have faced no problems.

harmol

Jul 25, 2017
Thank you for your reply.
When you visited your home country for the second time, did any immigration officer questioned you that you have completed your study , then why do you want to enter canada now.?
Is it better to apply for the PGWP after coming to Canada or from the home country while you are visiting ?

2b.or.not.2b

Dec 3, 2018
When asked for the purpose of visit to Canada I stated that I am entering Canada as a worker since I have completed my course and requested them to issue me my PGWP. The CBSA directed me to apply online and granted me entry as a worker.
I flagpoled for my permit and secured a three year PGWP. So don't worry have all your documents on hand like your completion letter graduation letter study permit etc and you will be good to go.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for your reply.
When you visited your home country for the second time, did any immigration officer questioned you that you have completed your study , then why do you want to enter canada now.?
Is it better to apply for the PGWP after coming to Canada or from the home country while you are visiting ?
You are overthinking this. If they ask, you simply answer that you are applying for your PGWP.

harmol

Jul 25, 2017
Thanks for the reply.

I do not want to apply for PGWP at the airport.
Can I tell them that I am still studying ?
Since I will be back before receiving my completion letter, I will not be able to PGWP at the airport.

2b.or.not.2b

Dec 3, 2018
If you don't receive your completion letter by the time you arrive you are technically still a student and as such you can enter as a student.
The CBSA has stopped issuing PGWP for students who require TRV to enter Canada and as such even of you were to ask for one you would be refused and asked to apply online as was my case.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the reply.

I do not want to apply for PGWP at the airport.
Can I tell them that I am still studying ?
Since I will be back before receiving my completion letter, I will not be able to PGWP at the airport.
You don't have to apply for the PGWP at the airport. DON'T LIE. Seriously, you are overthinking this.

Heist

Jan 23, 2024
Hey there,
I’m here on your situation. Can you share what did you do and you were able to make it or not ?

Nithin7753

Mar 3, 2024
My course will finish on april 20th and in my passport it is showing that visa is valid till Aug 31st. Is that possible to go back to India on april 23rd and come back on june 23. And then apply for the work permit?