+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting common-law partner with PR application being processed under new rules.

marcjames

Oct 4, 2019
Does anyone have the current PR application processing and is planning to visit their partner in Canada from outside Canada and know what steps need to be taken to do so? I've been doing a bunch of reading regarding the following rule which is:

“The Canada Border Services Agency is announcing that as of June 8, 2020 23:59 EDT, foreign nationals who are immediate family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents, and who do not have COVID-19 or exhibit any signs or symptoms of COVID-19, or who do not have reason to believe they have COVID-19, will be exempt from the prohibition on entry to Canada if entering to be with an immediate family member for a period of at least 15 days.”

I can’t seem to find anything else in regards to what else is required to be able to get in though. I can’t imagine just showing up at the border with a quarantine plan and a rough overview of how long I’ll be staying will allow me to get in. I’m hoping to try and get 6 months on a visitor visa but again wasn’t sure if I need to apply for that separately. Anyone that could give any advice on this would be much appreciated.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
"I can’t imagine just showing up at the border with a quarantine plan and a rough overview of how long I’ll be staying will allow me to get in."
That is pretty much how it works.

Chutsk10

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
If you are not from a Visa exempt country you still need a valid TRV, which you would have to apply for separately ahead of time.