+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

visiting Canada to look for a job but denied entry in the past

ap149

Jul 29, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am traveling to Toronto in a few weeks and I just had some questions about immigration. I was wondering if it would look bad if I just bought a one-way ticket to Toronto. I don’t have a job in the U.S and no mortgage or rent, but I do help out my mom take care of my grandparents. I have read that it has worked for some people, but I haven’t found any posts that were similar to my case.

A little back story, I have traveled to Toronto a few times during the past few years with ease but in 2017, I was asked to rescind my entry while driving because my lack of ties to the US. After, I have gotten in 2-3 more times and was allowed to stay for a month and a few days every time, but I just have to go through the second screening at the airport.

This time, I am flying one-way to Toronto to go on a road trip with my boyfriend to Vancouver, so we can both move there. I was going to stay with him and try to look for a job while I'm in that area, but if it doesn't work out then I would go to Seattle to live with my sister.

Basically, I just want to know if things will go smoothly and what I can do to make things so as smooth as possible. I wasn’t nervous about the other 2-3 times I went because I had a return ticket, but I don’t have proof this time around that I am going to return.

I thank you all in advanced for your help!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

I am traveling to Toronto in a few weeks and I just had some questions about immigration. I was wondering if it would look bad if I just bought a one-way ticket to Toronto. I don’t have a job in the U.S and no mortgage or rent, but I do help out my mom take care of my grandparents. I have read that it has worked for some people, but I haven’t found any posts that were similar to my case.

A little back story, I have traveled to Toronto a few times during the past few years with ease but in 2017, I was asked to rescind my entry while driving because my lack of ties to the US. After, I have gotten in 2-3 more times and was allowed to stay for a month and a few days every time, but I just have to go through the second screening at the airport.

This time, I am flying one-way to Toronto to go on a road trip with my boyfriend to Vancouver, so we can both move there. I was going to stay with him and try to look for a job while I'm in that area, but if it doesn't work out then I would go to Seattle to live with my sister.

Basically, I just want to know if things will go smoothly and what I can do to make things so as smooth as possible. I wasn’t nervous about the other 2-3 times I went because I had a return ticket, but I don’t have proof this time around that I am going to return.

I would recommend you get a two-way ticket given you've had problems in the past and given you can't show any ties to the US this time around. Also recommend that you pack like a tourist - make sure it doesn't look like you're moving to Canada.

Assume you're aware that an employer will need to go through the LMIA process in order for you to get a work permit - unless your job happens to fall on the NAFTA list. It's generally impossible to find employers who are willing to go through the LMIa process.

Reactions: ap149

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Expect the airline to refuse to check you in without a return ticket. They want proof you have onward travel from Canada.

ap149

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you guys for your responses.

So for a return ticket, should it be from Toronto back to where I flew in from? Or can it be from Vancouver to Seattle? For instance, buy a one way from New York to Toronto then like a one way flight/train ticket from Vancouver to Seattle. Or does it not matter as long as I have a return ticket back to the US?

Also, I've looked online and my job can fall under graphic designer on the NAFTA list!

Last edited:

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
As long as you avea ticket onward from Canada has been my personal experience. Can’t say if they would go as far as to check for a US status (if you aren’t a US resident) for the onward journey for a flight to Canada.

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Hi everyone,

Just to add im sure you are aware that you are not allowed to just get up and live in Canada. There are avenues that you can take to legally move to Canada such as spousal/common law sponsorship or express entry. You would not have any medical coverage and would only have temporary status in Canada.

ap149

Jul 29, 2019
Just to add im sure you are aware that you are not allowed to just get up and live in Canada. There are avenues that you can take to legally move to Canada such as spousal/common law sponsorship or express entry. You would not have any medical coverage and would only have temporary status in Canada.
Yeah I know. I meant the end goal is for the both of us to move there. I am just accompanying him on his trip to Vancouver and help him settle there, but for the duration that I am there, I was going to see if I could get a job offer and go through the NAFTA process.

When I said I was going to move in with my sister if it didn't work out, that was for if I couldn't do that before the vacation ends (about two months long).

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeah I know. I meant the end goal is for the both of us to move there. I am just accompanying him on his trip to Vancouver and help him settle there, but for the duration that I am there, I was going to see if I could get a job offer and go through the NAFTA process.

When I said I was going to move in with my sister if it didn't work out, that was for if I couldn't do that before the vacation ends (about two months long).
Ok it seems that you are rather underestimating what immigrating and obtaining work permit or permanent residency means.

Ok is your boyfriend Canadian citizen or a PR (permanent resident) already? It does not seems so.
NAFTA can be an option for him only if he qualifies for NAFTA (not everybody does). Also even if he qualifies, employers a less willing to employ somebody who does not have at least PR (there is always a chance that visa application will be rejected).
So you need to be aware of all of that.

Vancouver is the most challenging when it comes to rental costs and housing market (I think it is worse than Toronto). So you will be generating high costs while not being able to work until visa is approve.

And attention even taking care of old parents of your family or friends is regarded as work when it comes to CIC.

ap149

Jul 29, 2019
Ok it seems that you are rather underestimating what immigrating and obtaining work permit or permanent residency means.

Ok is your boyfriend Canadian citizen or a PR (permanent resident) already? It does not seems so.
NAFTA can be an option for him only if he qualifies for NAFTA (not everybody does). Also even if he qualifies, employers a less willing to employ somebody who does not have at least PR (there is always a chance that visa application will be rejected).
So you need to be aware of all of that.

Vancouver is the most challenging when it comes to rental costs and housing market (I think it is worse than Toronto). So you will be generating high costs while not being able to work until visa is approve.

And attention even taking care of old parents of your family or friends is regarded as work when it comes to CIC.
Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes, he's a citizen and he's already found employment. He's also making enough income to support the both of us in Vancouver.