+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting Canada = Questions on Funds

stanone

Star Member
Oct 1, 2010
Hello guys, I have read from numerous websites online that prospective Canada visitors have to show a proof of fund/ certain amount of money before being allowed entry into Canada. Is this true? If yes then does the fund depend on how long an visitor decides to stay in Canada ?
Can anyone give an estimate of how much the immigration authorities would require a visitor to have on him/her.
Thanks

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I think the `short' answer is...it depends.

1. How are you arriving (land border crossing, International airport, etc.)?

2. How long do you intend to stay?

3. If traveling by air, will you have a return ticket to show the border agent?

If you're visiting for a short period of time, I don't know that you'll have much of a problem, especially if you're going to be staying with a friend, family member, etc. while in Canada. As far as I know, there's no formula in place for `x number of dollars for x number of days' for a visitor with a planned date to exit Canada.

Hopefully, others with more knowledge on how the system works will chime in.

luisdneza

Nov 29, 2012
i guess it depends on how long your stay is. it's on the cic web page but i think it's 100 per day but i could be wrong. again the agent could ask you for proof of funds or not it depends.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Essentially, the border officer must be satisfied that you have enough funds to support your stay without resorting to illegal work or claiming some sort of assistance. This depends entirely on the nature of the visit: how long it is, where you'll be staying, where you'll be going, what you'll be doing etc.

Person A is coming for 2 weeks to stay with a friend at no cost and is not planning to travel around or do tourist stuff. Person B is coming for 2 weeks, staying in hotels and travelling around a few places to see all the sights. For Person A, $1000 is more than enough funds. If Person B only had $1000, they would most likely be denied entry, as that wouldn't even cover hotels for 2 weeks, let alone food, travel, tourist stuff etc.