2018-08-02
File Transfer...
24-12-2018
Med's Request
12-12-2018
Med's Done....
01-01-2019
Hi everyone I come to you for advice,

I am June Outland applicant, from France. We have gone through all the steps (sponsor acceptance, medicals, csq obtained, file transferred to Mississauga), the background check has started since mid-December. By mid-June, it will be 12 months.

We will arrive next Tuesday in Montreal, me and my Canadian boyfriend. We come earlier to see his family, to travel into Quebec. We have a ticket back to France for September 3 because my older brother is getting married. We put our savings (€15,000) into his savings account and he has leads for work. I know I won’t be allowed to work. We will live at my sister-in-law's home. I've read some things about "dual intent" and I think that I am in the conditions but I cannot I can’t help but stress. We’re coming early because my boyfriend is missing his family, we’re going to celebrate 30 years of his sister, there were two births, and we finished our employment contracts. So, we thought it was the good time to spend times in Canada until the sponsoring process is finished.

I am very stressed to go through customs, lest they turn me away.
Do you have any recommendations?

Thank you so much.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone I come to you for advice,

I am June Outland applicant, from France. We have gone through all the steps (sponsor acceptance, medicals, csq obtained, file transferred to Mississauga), the background check has started since mid-December. By mid-June, it will be 12 months.

We will arrive next Tuesday in Montreal, me and my Canadian boyfriend. We come earlier to see his family, to travel into Quebec. We have a ticket back to France for September 3 because my older brother is getting married. We put our savings (€15,000) into his savings account and he has leads for work. I know I won’t be allowed to work. We will live at my sister-in-law's home. I've read some things about "dual intent" and I think that I am in the conditions but I cannot I can’t help but stress. We’re coming early because my boyfriend is missing his family, we’re going to celebrate 30 years of his sister, there were two births, and we finished our employment contracts. So, we thought it was the good time to spend times in Canada until the sponsoring process is finished.

I am very stressed to go through customs, lest they turn me away.
Do you have any recommendations?

Thank you so much.
Hi

You'll be fine. There is no issue visiting while your PR app processes. Carry proof of the PR app and proof of finances in case asked.

SophieRstr

Star Member
Oct 18, 2018
France
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
AOR Received.
2018-08-02
File Transfer...
24-12-2018
Med's Request
12-12-2018
Med's Done....
01-01-2019
Hi

You'll be fine. There is no issue visiting while your PR app processes. Carry proof of the PR app and proof of finances in case asked.
Thank you ! We're agree that I have to mentioned that I am under PR process (but I come on vacations) when they will ask why I am coming to Canada ?

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
So you are going through spousal sponsorship and that is well underway. You want to come on a visit and will return to France? So you do NOT want to land under 'dual intent' (Land as a visitor but stay until your application is approved - is that correct?

IF YES, the of course you can visit, as you are French, make sure you have taken out your ETA in advance as you will not be allowed on the plane without it. Yes, they may ask the purpose of your visit, so just tell them - no need to over-disclose about going through sponsorship, you are visiting for x weeks.

IF LANDING UNDER DUAL INTENT - still need an ETA and still no problem, you just need a return ticket and do NOT bring your wordly possessions, bring only what a visitor would bring. Some unofficial reading on dual intent here:

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousal_Sponsorship-Canada#Can_I_wait_in_Canada_while_my_application_is_being_processed:_Dual_Intent

SophieRstr

Star Member
Oct 18, 2018
France
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
AOR Received.
2018-08-02
File Transfer...
24-12-2018
Med's Request
12-12-2018
Med's Done....
01-01-2019
So you are going through spousal sponsorship and that is well underway. You want to come on a visit and will return to France? So you do NOT want to land under 'dual intent' (Land as a visitor but stay until your application is approved - is that correct?

IF YES, the of course you can visit, as you are French, make sure you have taken out your ETA in advance as you will not be allowed on the plane without it. Yes, they may ask the purpose of your visit, so just tell them - no need to over-disclose about going through sponsorship, you are visiting for x weeks.

IF LANDING UNDER DUAL INTENT - still need an ETA and still no problem, you just need a return ticket and do NOT bring your wordly possessions, bring only what a visitor would bring. Some unofficial reading on dual intent here:

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousal_Sponsorship-Canada#Can_I_wait_in_Canada_while_my_application_is_being_processed:_Dual_Intent

Thank you for your respond and your time :)
I come to visit Canada and I come back to France in September for about a month, yes. Normally, my permanent residence will be completed by then.
I’m afraid that if I don’t mention sponsorship, it’s not honest and I won’t be very comfortable with it. I bring clothes and shoes primarily (for winter and summer so I've got two full suitcases)
I think I’m too anxious about this situation, but I've read too many stories about long interviews at customs.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Thank you for your respond and your time :)
I come to visit Canada and I come back to France in September for about a month, yes. Normally, my permanent residence will be completed by then.
I’m afraid that if I don’t mention sponsorship, it’s not honest and I won’t be very comfortable with it. I bring clothes and shoes primarily (for winter and summer so I've got two full suitcases)
I think I’m too anxious about this situation, but I've read too many stories about long interviews at customs.
You are stressing about nothing - relax! This is all perfectly normal and I think you will be amazed at how simple it is. They now have customs declaration machines at the airport, you will have your Q&A with a machine! Just so you know what to expect, have a read of the '1. Complete Customs Declaration' section of the attached wiki article (ignore the rest of the article as it deals with what you should do when you finally land and declare PR, which you are NOT doing at this stage).

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Landing_as_PR-Canada

Reactions: SophieRstr

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you ! We're agree that I have to mentioned that I am under PR process (but I come on vacations) when they will ask why I am coming to Canada ?
You you stressing for no reason. You don't need to mention the PR app unless asked. Just say you are visiting with your spouse.

Reactions: SophieRstr

SophieRstr

Star Member
Oct 18, 2018
France
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
AOR Received.
2018-08-02
File Transfer...
24-12-2018
Med's Request
12-12-2018
Med's Done....
01-01-2019
Thank you all! Your words are very helpful :) I'll try to relax and be prepared.

SophieRstr

Star Member
Oct 18, 2018
France
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
AOR Received.
2018-08-02
File Transfer...
24-12-2018
Med's Request
12-12-2018
Med's Done....
01-01-2019
You are stressing about nothing - relax! This is all perfectly normal and I think you will be amazed at how simple it is. They now have customs declaration machines at the airport, you will have your Q&A with a machine! Just so you know what to expect, have a read of the '1. Complete Customs Declaration' section of the attached wiki article (ignore the rest of the article as it deals with what you should do when you finally land and declare PR, which you are NOT doing at this stage).

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Landing_as_PR-Canada
And thanks for the link, I didn't know they had machines at customs! I'll read this :)

SophieRstr

Star Member
Oct 18, 2018
France
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
AOR Received.
2018-08-02
File Transfer...
24-12-2018
Med's Request
12-12-2018
Med's Done....
01-01-2019
Hi! A little update if someone does some research :)
Everything was so easy, I was shocked. We arrived at the airport, we fulfilled the machine's questions, it gave us a ticket. We gave the ticket to a guard who asked me what I am going to do in 168 days in Canada. I was with my Canadian boyfriend, I answered that we were going to visit his family and friends. I told him about my sponsorship. He says "OK, that's good" It took 15 seconds.
So happy to be back :)