+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting Canada after 2 years

Rebcel81

Jan 12, 2018
Hi,
I sponsored my husband and he received his PR in 2016. However after that trip he has not been able to visit Canada. He will be going after 2 years next month. This being said, we are making our permanent return home in September this year. Will he be detained at the airport for not visiting for 2 years? As we both are working abroad it's taken a bit to time to wind up everything. I've been hearing stories that you could be stopped upon arrival in Canada?

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
No, if he landed and became a PR he has the right to enter Canada. As long as he is able to reside in Canada at least 730 days (2 years) before the 5 year anniversary date of his landing date (not the PR card expiry date), then he should have no problems. Does he have his PR card which would have been issued about 4-6 weeks after landing?

Rebcel81

Jan 12, 2018
No, if he landed and became a PR he has the right to enter Canada. As long as he is able to reside in Canada at least 730 days (2 years) before the 5 year anniversary date of his landing date (not the PR card expiry date), then he should have no problems. Does he have his PR card which would have been issued about 4-6 weeks after landing?
Yes he does have his PR card. I'm just concerned he may have some problems landing. I cannot travel at the moment so I need t

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
Yes he does have his PR card. I'm just concerned he may have some problems landing. I cannot travel at the moment so I need t
There won't be any problems as long as he can meet the Residency Obligation of 730 days within 5 years of the first landing date. What is your status? Citizen or are you a PR yourself?

Rebcel81

Jan 12, 2018
There won't be any problems as long as he can meet the Residency Obligation of 730 days within 5 years of the first landing date. What is your status? Citizen or are you a PR yourself?
I am a Canadian citizen, I've been living g outskde Canada for a while now so will be moving back as well

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I am a Canadian citizen, I've been living g outskde Canada for a while now so will be moving back as well
Well that makes a big difference given your husband would have been accompanying a citizen abroad as per appendix A in link below.
In any case a new PR can stay away for near 3 years without any issue as long as at some point they accumulate 730 days in first 5 years. Based on your post only 2 years so far but assuming the accompanying citizen dimension that is irrelevant.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-sex-designation.html#appendixA

Reactions: jordo