+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting Boyfriend

ddau

May 24, 2016
My boyfriend currently lives in Toronto but is not a Canadian Citizen (from Ecuador) and is there on a work/study visa. I am a US Citizen that is regularly traveling back and forth so that we can spend time together. However, I have noticed that each time that I come to Canada and speak with a CBSA agent, the interrogation becomes longer. Was wondering if there was a limit on how often US Citizens are able to visit Canada. Don't want this to become an issue for my relationship. I have a job and other things tying me back to the United States and always have a return trip booked before stepping foot into Canada (and able to provide the return ticket to the CBSA agent).

Just want to make sure that I won't run into any problems regularly visiting Canada. Usually there for about 1 week a month. Sometimes 2 weeks a month.

simplyaddo

Jun 18, 2012
Several users in a similar situation have reported the same thing. CBSA officers, after many visits, start believing that you may be trying to establish a life in Canada. The onus is on you to convince them otherwise. Having fewer frequency of visits or longer gaps between visits will help.

You say that you have a job tying you back, perhaps bring an employment letter with you each time. However, after a while, they could wonder how you can afford a week to 2 weeks off so often, if you are employed.

ddau

May 24, 2016
Thanks for the info. I can see where they are coming from. Kind of sucks that they are expecting the worst out of people. All I'm wanting is the ability to visit the person I care about. Having additional time apart can make things extremely tasking on our relationship. We have talked about me moving up there, but the only way that would work is if we marry and I come in under the visa that is already established (as you are allowed to bring your spouse with you to Canada...would have to apply and it would have to be approved...but from what I understand it is one of the provisions given in the visa).

In regards to being able to take so much time off. My work allows me to exchange my days off with other employees. I work in public safety and have what we call a short week (where I only work 2 days out of the 7). As long as I can find someone to switch me those two days, I am good to go...have the full 7 off. However, I am required to return to the US to go back to work and make money. Unfortunately, right now, with both of us being in different countries, all of my money is going to either the bills I have to pay here in the US or traveling back and forth between the US and Canada. Hoping that we may be able to make it so that one month I go up to Canada and the other schedule a visit here in the US. Might help with the frequency. I'm hoping that I won't have problems. Will most likely start bringing a copy of my schedule with me, as well as showing my return tickets that are already purchased to be able to show to the CBSA agent. Have found that trying to persuade them sometimes can be extremely difficult.

Andre_Smol

Dec 10, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
FSW Outland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Nomination.....
18-09-2015
AOR Received.
04-11-2015
Med's Done....
06-11-2015
Passport Req..
07-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
17-02-2016
I can tell you from personal experience that it will become incasingly difficult to convince CBSA officers that you are a genuine visitor.

Over time, it bevomes more and more likely that you will be eventually refused entry as a visitor, as they will think you are establishing a life in Canada, without going through the proper steps.

ddau

May 24, 2016
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not sure what other steps I am going to be able to take. I have spoke with a immigration lawyer that handles Canadian immigration and he has advised unless I am going to go to school in Canada or get married, there is no legal way for me to get a work permit or have the right to live in Canada. Given my currently qualifications, I do not qualify for Expressed Entry or Skilled Worker so I am extremely limited. The last thing that I want is to be turned away and told that I am not able to visit. I'm not making money in Canada, just there to spend time with my boyfriend. To be completely honest, I'm actually dropping quite a bit of money into their nightlife..... :/

Not really sure where to go from here. :/

Andre_Smol

Dec 10, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
FSW Outland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Nomination.....
18-09-2015
AOR Received.
04-11-2015
Med's Done....
06-11-2015
Passport Req..
07-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
17-02-2016
ddau said:
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not sure what other steps I am going to be able to take. I have spoke with a immigration lawyer that handles Canadian immigration and he has advised unless I am going to go to school in Canada or get married, there is no legal way for me to get a work permit or have the right to live in Canada. Given my currently qualifications, I do not qualify for Expressed Entry or Skilled Worker so I am extremely limited. The last thing that I want is to be turned away and told that I am not able to visit. I'm not making money in Canada, just there to spend time with my boyfriend. To be completely honest, I'm actually dropping quite a bit of money into their nightlife..... :/

Not really sure where to go from here. :/
You are right in the sense that you only really have 3 options that will solve your problem.

1) you can get a study permit and study in Canada
2) you can get a work permit through a job in Canada
3) you can go the PR route

You said marriage is out of the question for now so that leaves you with the above 3 options.

The temporary visitor status is simply not intended as a way for people to slowly build a new life in Canada and the only way to get around that is one of the three more long-term solutions mentioned above.

Have you taken the time to look into the Express Entry requirements to see if you qualify? Maybe you are only missing one or two requirements that you could fix within the coming months. There are many possible pathways to make Express Entry work for different people, maybe one of them would also work for you.

In the end, it all comes down to how serious you are about possibly living with your boyfriend in the future and how serious the relationship is and what level of effort, time and energy you are willing to put into building a new life together.

ddau

May 24, 2016
I have looked into Express Entry. I do qualify and could apply, however my score would be extremely low so the possibility of me actually getting chosen for it would be extremely low.

I have talked with some of my friends, one of which deals with CBSA on a regular basis, and I think I will end up being okay. I just have to be able to prove to the CBSA agent at the port of entry that I am not trying to establish a life in Canada and that I have items tying me back to the United States. As much as I have already visited (4 times in 7 months with the 3 of those visits in 3 consecutive months), I have a strong track record to return to the United States. As long as I can prove to them that I am going to return, I shouldn't have a problem.

Do my boyfriend and I want to live together....sure. But we both understand that until the time that we decide that we want to get married, that really isn't an option as he does not have the legal right to live, work or study in the United States and I do not have the legal right to live, study, or work in Canada. We can only settle for the limited time that we actually get together when I come visit. Or if he begins to come visit in the US (getting a tourist visa).

I have to keep hoping that I get the CBSA agent on a good day and that they are not trying to think that I am trying to use the Temporary Visitor status as trying to build a life in Canada. I don't plan on going to school in Canada, I currently cannot get the right to work in Canada as I won't get express entry and I don't have a job that will "sponsor" me to get a work permit and I don't meet the requirements to apply for PR. I've spoke with a immigration lawyer and we have determined that the only way for me to move to Canada would be to come in under his visa. Which is legal under Canadian law and would be through proper channels for me to move there (as his visa would have to be reapplied for with me added to it and then approved by CIC)

We are both serious about continuing our life together and know there are going to have to be some sacrifices made on both sides. Just have to try and stay in the good graces of CBSA.