+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting boyfriend as a tourist

leaf777

Aug 30, 2021
I'm planning to visit my boyfriend in Quebec during the holidays. Since we've been in LDR since we met, I'm applying for the TRV as a tourist (and not for reunification). I will be staying at his place for the duration of my stay, but we will be going on trips within the province. I'm planning to stay for 2 months tops. Should I or should I not declare our relationship in the application?

If I choose "to visit family or friends" in the IRCC online application, then he would be able to provide me with an invitation letter. But what can I include as "proof of relationship"? We can only think of screenshots of our conversations and everyday video calls.

If I choose "tourism," can I include his name and his address in the "Details of Visit to Canada" in IMM5257e application and indicate "boyfriend" under "Relationship to me"?

Important details to consider:
- My country is still not allowing foreign tourists to enter our borders so he can't come to me. My government has no plans to open borders to tourists until end of next year or even longer. That's why I'm going there instead.
- We would be together for one year on the planned visit-- the whole point is to celebrate our anniversary.
- I can finance the whole trip (e.g., plane tickets) myself, but I'm staying at his place.
- I have strong home ties (e.g., property, investments, self-employment, memorial plan, my sister whose studies I'm paying for).
- I've been to Australia twice.
- I'm fully vaccinated with AstraZeneca
- I have a friend in Canada but in a different province. I also volunteer for a Canadian organization who assists in human trafficking issues whom I can contact for help-- I'm mentioning this in case "things don't work out" (from the IO's perspective), I would have somewhere to go and I'll be safe and able to handle myself to leave the country.

I'd like advice on how to build a strong application considering these facts and our situation.

Last edited: