+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visited more than one country during Absence from Canada

mrchandu

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
I am confused on how to fill the citizenship application for physical presence calculator.

I left Canada in Dec 2018 to India and returned to canada in 2020.I worked in UK for 2 years and visited some schengen countries as a tourist during that time.

1.) I wrote country as India and in comments I just listed UK and other countries and wrote I worked in UK. is this enough? do they need dates and more detailed Info?
2.) If I write all countries names and dates it's going past the 150 character limit. what should I do in that case?
3.) Looks like I started the citizenship application 2 days early. Do I have to delete and restart the application or Can I just wait for 2 days and submit?

Can someone help me with these queries? Thanks in advance.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I am confused on how to fill the citizenship application for physical presence calculator.

I left Canada in Dec 2018 to India and returned to canada in 2020.I worked in UK for 2 years and visited some schengen countries as a tourist during that time.

1.) I wrote country as India and in comments I just listed UK and other countries and wrote I worked in UK. is this enough? do they need dates and more detailed Info?
2.) If I write all countries names and dates it's going past the 150 character limit. what should I do in that case?
3.) Looks like I started the citizenship application 2 days early. Do I have to delete and restart the application or Can I just wait for 2 days and submit?

1 and 2 ) Tourist thing is to be ignored but you cannot skip adding entries of places where you worked for 2 yrs. You might even need PCC from those countries.

3) Is this for matching 1095 days which will happen after 2 days?

mrchandu

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
1 and 2 ) Tourist thing is to be ignored but you cannot skip adding entries of places where you worked for 2 yrs. You might even need PCC from those countries.

3) Is this for matching 1095 days which will happen after 2 days?
Hi forw.jane, Thanks for your response.

- So it has to be a separate entry?.I already mentioned it in address and work history(uploaded PCC as well) and in the comments. This is how I entered it.

Country
India
Date you left Canada
July 25, 2018
Date you returned to Canada
July 23, 2020
Visited more than one country
Yes
Reason
Other
Description
Northern Ireland, Scotland, England, France, Ireland, Belgium, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Lebanon Worked in NI from Jan,2019 to Feb,2020, Tourism in other countries.

- Yes, it will be 1095 days in 2 days.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi forw.jane, Thanks for your response.

- So it has to be a separate entry?.I already mentioned it in address and work history(uploaded PCC as well) and in the comments. This is how I entered it.

Country
India
Date you left Canada
July 25, 2018
Date you returned to Canada
July 23, 2020
Visited more than one country
Yes
Reason
Other
Description
Northern Ireland, Scotland, England, France, Ireland, Belgium, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Lebanon Worked in NI from Jan,2019 to Feb,2020, Tourism in other countries.

- Yes, it will be 1095 days in 2 days.
Does the Physical Presence not allow you to add entry for the two years you worked in UK? The Tourism part is ignorable.

With so much travel, keep a buffer. Don't submit on perfect 1095 days. Any issues and your days will go below 1095 and your application will get rejected later in the processing cycle.

Reactions: mrchandu

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

In physical presence calculator only use one line for travel history for period of time between the "from" date (date of exit from Canada) until the "to" date (date of return to Canada), list the primary destination as location, and then list additional countries in reason/purpose column. Just as it states in the instructions. Assuming you spent a considerable portion of the time during that one trip in India, whether to list India or the UK as the primary destination is largely a personal judgment call. If the amount of time in the UK is way more than that spent in India, probably better to list the UK as the primary location/destination and list India along with other countries in reason/purpose column.

If you run out of space listing the European countries visited, just listing one and adding "and other European countries" should be OK. Or add supplemental page listing all.

"Looks like I started the citizenship application 2 days early. Do I have to delete and restart the application or Can I just wait for 2 days and submit?"​

Wait 30 days. Or more. Meanwhile, print draft of application and presence calculation, and review. And review again, carefully. Do final draft, to submit, from scratch.

1095 days is enough to be granted citizenship. BUT . . . Many in this forum suggest a week to ten day margin over the minimum presence requirement is OK. And for most that is probably true. But in addition to being a buffer to cover any mistakes in travel history, as suggested by @forw.jane (and yes, if IRCC's calculation is 1094 days or less, the application MUST be denied), a good margin/buffer should help the total stranger bureaucrats processing the application feel comfortable about your physical presence, and be less inclined to make more inquiries that could trigger non-routine processing and delays. Not much point in rushing to apply if that means there might be an extra six or ten months of processing time.