+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visit while waiting for spousal sponsorship

brolindevine

Dec 7, 2019
My partner is in Cambodia and I am in Canada. We are applying with spousal sponsorship.
Once the application is in, is it a bad idea for her to apply for a visitor visa in the meantime?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
It won't likely be approved, as her risk of overstaying is significant. If you can prove significant ties to Cambodia, you may as well try, it's only ~$100 you're spending.

Jaybee43

Feb 28, 2019
My partner is in Cambodia and I am in Canada. We are applying with spousal sponsorship.
Once the application is in, is it a bad idea for her to apply for a visitor visa in the meantime?
It's never a bad idea to apply for a TRV. Good thing is it won't have any negative effect on your PR application. However chances of a TRV approval are very low unless your partner has serious assets in their country. (Ownership of property, business, house etc)

Jazzercise

Sep 25, 2018
Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
26-10-2018
AOR Received.
10-11-2018
Med's Request
07-01-2019
Med's Done....
17-01-2019
It's never a bad idea to apply for a TRV. Good thing is it won't have any negative effect on your PR application. However chances of a TRV approval are very low unless your partner has serious assets in their country. (Ownership of property, business, house etc)
Agreed. Even then, OP shouldn't be surprised if the TRV is denied.

brolindevine

Dec 7, 2019
She may have a better chance as she’s been to Canada on a travel visa before and left on schedule at the end of her stay

brolindevine

Dec 7, 2019
Update: She was approved for a visitor visa but I did see something that said she had to either be out of the country when applying or leave the country while processing.

When doing the questionaire to pay, the two options at one point were
"My spouse is already living with me in Canada and will stay while our application is processed"
and
"My spouse lives outside Canada right now or plans to leave Canada while our application is processed"

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I'm not sure where you're seeing this, or what your question is. She can stay in Canada while you apply for an inland PR - it's the Spouse or Common Law Partner In Canada Class of Family Class sponsorship.

brolindevine

Dec 7, 2019
I'm not sure where you're seeing this, or what your question is. She can stay in Canada while you apply for an inland PR - it's the Spouse or Common Law Partner In Canada Class of Family Class sponsorship.
I saw that in the section of the immigration website where you answer questions to find out what fees you are paying. It was one of the questions I was required to answer.

I was just confused about whether she can visit while they consider her application. It's an outland application. I've since talked to somebody who is in the same boat and their lawyer told them they just have to leave the country, apply from England, and then they can immediately re-enter

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
I saw that in the section of the immigration website where you answer questions to find out what fees you are paying. It was one of the questions I was required to answer.

I was just confused about whether she can visit while they consider her application. It's an outland application. I've since talked to somebody who is in the same boat and their lawyer told them they just have to leave the country, apply from England, and then they can immediately re-enter
Do you mean this?
My spouse is already living with me in Canada and will stay while our application is processed.
My spouse lives outside Canada right now or plans to leave Canada while our application is processed

Its just to determine whether its an inlandor outland application. For inland, the spouse would be living with you in Canada at the time of application, and is advised not to leave. For outland, the spouse can be outside/inside Canada at the time of application, and they can leave/enter Canada during the processing. Your spouse doesn't have to leave Canada to apply outland

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
I did it and it was not approved .its a waste of money
it is very difficult fr a TRV to be approved with a spousal sponsorship application in process, as you have strong ties in Canada. Most apply before the PR application is submitted.