+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visit visa/TRV validity ends soon...

Denzil

Aug 20, 2012
Hello friends,

I have a rather silly question, but just had to put it out so as to have no regrets later. My mom's visitor visa was extended once and it is soon to expire (validity). I was wondering if we could flag pole to the border so as to "technically" exit Canada and as a result she won't have to re-apply again or go back soon. If so, would I my Dad (who hasn't extended)be able to do so the same? I know flag poling is for change of visa status, but just wanted to put it out there..A big thanks for your reply and help!!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your question isn't entirely clear. If you are looking to extend their stay in Canada, it is better to apply for an extension rather than flagpole. If they have valid multiple entry TRVs, then you can try flagpoling - however there's a greater chance of refusal. Far better to apply to extend their stay from within Canada.

If your mother's actual TRV (the visa itself) is expiring - then you need to apply for a new one. You can't get a new one through flagpoling.

Denzil

Aug 20, 2012
Thank you very much scylla for the reply and guiding me. I know my question would be confusing.Well it was the scenario you mentioned at first and not the actual visa expiring. Do you think if she cross the border and re-enter Canada, would that be deemed exiting the country and re-entering, thus getting a fresh new 6 month validity from the date she re-enters Canada? If it does, would a short trip across the border ( less than 24hrs) be enough? Thank you in advance.:)

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
The challenge with leaving the country and coming back within 24 hours may be what will your parents say when asked about why they are coming back in so soon and do they have travel arranged to leave the country.

Having extended once already it could make it seem they are trying to live in the country for an extended period as a visitor as opposed to simply visiting so they may even get refused re entry at the border then what will they do from the US. In fact entering the US might not be so straight forward if they have no onward travel from the US or from Canada.

As Scylla said much better to try extending again whilst still in the country it might be extended it might not then look at options for longer stays or worst case face up to fact they might need to leave for a few months and come back.

Decision is yours risk crossing over to the US for 24 hours or extend from within the country, either could work or either could fail although one has a different level of risk.

Last edited:

Denzil

Aug 20, 2012
The challenge with leaving the country and coming back within 24 hours may be what will your parents say when asked about why they are coming back in so soon and do they have travel arranged to leave the country.

Having extended once already it could make it seem they are trying to live in the country for an extended period as a visitor as opposed to simply visiting so they may even get refused re entry at the border then what will they do from the US. In fact entering the US might not be so straight forward if they have no onward travel from the US or from Canada.

As Scylla said much better to try extending again whilst still in the country it might be extended it might not then look at options for longer stays or worst case face up to fact they might need to leave for a few months and come back.

Decision is yours risk crossing over to the US for 24 hours or extend from within the country, either could work or either could fail although one has a different level of risk.
Thank youBS65. I understand it may not be the right move, I just want to look at all the possible options. What if they go for 2 days and come back or for a week long trip and then enter? They do not intend to stay here for long. Just another 3 months.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Could someone help me with my query?
scylla's original answer still applies:

...you can try flagpoling - however there's a greater chance of refusal. Far better to apply to extend their stay from within Canada.

If your mother's actual TRV (the visa itself) is expiring - then you need to apply for a new one. You can't get a new one through flagpoling.
What you are intending to do is still similar to the flagpoling scenario.

It's not forbidden, but the risks are greater.

Denzil

Aug 20, 2012
Thank you bellaluna..! We were thinking of having a trip to New York or so for a week and half..I guess that would have to wait.