+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visit visa refused twice for my in-laws

sknth

Jan 30, 2023
Hi All,

I have applied for a tourist visa for my in-laws for the purpose of visiting Canada for my wife's graduation. We have applied for it twice and have been refused both times due to the same reasons. The first application was in Nov 2022, and second one at the end of Jan 2023.

The reasons stated are:

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as required by paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR (https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/ section-179.html). I am refusing your application because you have not established that you will leave Canada, based on the following factors
  • You do not have significant family ties outside Canada.
    The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application.
  • Your assets and financial situation are insufficient to support the stated purpose of travel for yourself (and any accompanying family member(s), if applicable).
The first application was rejected because we had not provided sufficient documents showing the funds and ties to India.

In our second application, we had included the supporting documents with:
1. A cover letter explaining the reason for visiting Canada (Graduation dates. Also provided the screenshot of the graduation dates from the university). The cover letter also includes my wife's student ID. We have also mentioned that our previous applications were rejected with the corresponding numbers of those applications.
2. An invitation letter from my wife to her parents inviting them for the graduation with the same dates as above
3. Birth certificate, Student permit and passport copies of my wife
4. Property deed of property in India along with the details of my in-laws' second daughter who lives in India to show proof of ties.
5. Another document with proof of funds which has details of accounts with the required balances, in both deposits and liquid form along with a budget for the stay of 3 weeks. We have shown funds of more than double the amount required for a temporary stay of 3 weeks. (60K+)

The reason for the visa application chosen was:
To visit my spouse, common law partner, dependent child, parent, step-parent, guardian or tutor who is in Canada temporarily, such as an international student or temporary worker

It seems like all of the additional documents that we have provided have not been checked.
What options do we have now?

Thanks in advance

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hi All,

I have applied for a tourist visa for my in-laws for the purpose of visiting Canada for my wife's graduation. We have applied for it twice and have been refused both times due to the same reasons. The first application was in Nov 2022, and second one at the end of Jan 2023.

The reasons stated are:

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as required by paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR (https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/ section-179.html). I am refusing your application because you have not established that you will leave Canada, based on the following factors
    The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application.
  • Your assets and financial situation are insufficient to support the stated purpose of travel for yourself (and any accompanying family member(s), if applicable).
The first application was rejected because we had not provided sufficient documents showing the funds and ties to India.

1. A cover letter explaining the reason for visiting Canada (Graduation dates. Also provided the screenshot of the graduation dates from the university). The cover letter also includes my wife's student ID. We have also mentioned that our previous applications were rejected with the corresponding numbers of those applications.
2. An invitation letter from my wife to her parents inviting them for the graduation with the same dates as above
4. Property deed of property in India along with the details of my in-laws' second daughter who lives in India to show proof of ties.
5. Another document with proof of funds which has details of accounts with the required balances, in both deposits and liquid form along with a budget for the stay of 3 weeks. We have shown funds of more than double the amount required for a temporary stay of 3 weeks. (60K+)

To visit my spouse, common law partner, dependent child, parent, step-parent, guardian or tutor who is in Canada temporarily, such as an international student or temporary worker

It seems like all of the additional documents that we have provided have not been checked.

Thanks in advance
So you showed 60K CAD and they rejected saying insufficient funds!!!

ahs

Star Member
Jul 8, 2015
Visa Office......
LVO
App. Filed.......
Sept 22, 2014
Doc's Request.
Jun 18, 2015 & Oct 9, 2015
AOR Received.
Nov 27, 2014
File Transfer...
Nov 27, 2014
Med's Done....
Feb 25, 2015
Interview........
waived; Decision Made: Dec 21, 2015
Passport Req..
Dec 22, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 05, 2016
LANDED..........
Feb 7, 2016
Hi All,

The reasons stated are:

Thanks in advance

didn't u select the wrong option for visit
as in ur wife is not a dependent child of her parents

sknth

Jan 30, 2023
didn't u select the wrong option for visit
as in ur wife is not a dependent child of her parents
There seems to be no other category that is more applicable. She is an international student in Canada right now.
Which other category applies here?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
What are their family ties to home country? See a second daughter and is she under 22? Does she live with them? If not, she is not a tie.

Confirm - it is their funds. $10k is not a lot for two people for 3 weeks once you take into consideration airfare/travel insurance.

Don’t reapply until you can address reasons because they have two refusals in short succession. A third application so soon will look desperate. Wait 6 months.

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you saying your in-laws have no funds on their own?

sknth

Jan 30, 2023
What are their family ties to home country? See a second daughter and is she under 22? Does she live with them? If not, she is not a tie.

Confirm - it is their funds. $10k is not a lot for two people for 3 weeks once you take into consideration airfare/travel insurance.

Don’t reapply until you can address reasons because they have two refusals in short succession. A third application so soon will look desperate. Wait 6 months.
1. They have properties here in their home country and have attached the property deed of one of the properties to the application. Their second daughter is older than 22 and does not live with them.

2. Yes, it's their funds. All of the accounts shown are under their names. Bank statements provided for 6 months.

3. They'll miss their daughter's graduation if we wait for 6 months.

$10k is not a lot for two people for 3 weeks once you take into consideration airfare/travel insurance.
With respect to this point, if we book the flight tickets, travel insurance and show the itinerary, does that give us a higher chance of approval?
$10K is in cash in the accounts and the deposits can be broken in case more is needed.
What is a decent amount of cash in accounts that is expected for 3 weeks?

Is it possible that the applications have been rejected because they don't have a steady income? My in-laws are retired.

sadlifecanada

Jan 17, 2023

Is 10k really not enough? I mean lets say we include airfare (around 3k for india, insurance not needed for TRV but even if we include, its max 1k for both, based on my own parents quotes for a month). Still, there's a lot left for 3 weeks and even to use after going back. Also OP has 50k in FD to use after going back. And people don't usually keep tens of thousands in liquid. Feels like IRCC is just random.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Is 10k really not enough? I mean lets say we include airfare (around 3k for india, insurance not needed for TRV but even if we include, its max 1k for both, based on my own parents quotes for a month). Still, there's a lot left for 3 weeks and even to use after going back. Also OP has 50k in FD to use after going back. And people don't usually keep tens of thousands in liquid. Feels like IRCC is just random.
There are two reasons for refusal - ties and funds.
OP mentioned a daughter as ties to home country? Is she under 22? Are they supporting her? Are they working as I see no documentation that they have employment? If they are not working then that is an issue as using their retirement funds which they cannot replenish. If under 22, then that is a tie and then they would be supporting her. If not under 22, then not a tie. I am just saying that $10k is not a lot for 2 people in IRCC's views now especially if daughter is under 22. If OP is PR, then consider supervisa if they meet LICO.