+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visit Visa- No of days required to live outside Canada after 6 months

Ensia

Oct 9, 2017
Hi,

My mother recently received the visit visa for Canada.

I know that on visit visa an applicant can stay in Canada for more than 6 months.
I have a few queries regarding the number of days she needs to spend outside Canada for entry:-

Q1) Does she need to go back to her home country after living for 6 months to renter in Canada ?
Q2) How many days or months she need be outside Canada for her to be eligible to reenter.

I will eventually be applying for super visa for her but for the time being she will be living in Canada for around 5 month ,going back to India for about a week and then come back to Canada.
I am worried that the immigration office might have an objection on this.

Can anyone throw some light on this?Your help will be appreciated.

Regards,
EH

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

My mother recently received the visit visa for Canada.

I know that on visit visa an applicant can stay in Canada for more than 6 months.
I have a few queries regarding the number of days she needs to spend outside Canada for entry:-

Q1) Does she need to go back to her home country after living for 6 months to renter in Canada ?
Q2) How many days or months she need be outside Canada for her to be eligible to reenter.

I will eventually be applying for super visa for her but for the time being she will be living in Canada for around 5 month ,going back to India for about a week and then come back to Canada.

Can anyone throw some light on this?Your help will be appreciated.

Regards,
EH
In general you should anticipate that she should spend at least as much time outside or Canada as inside Canada. She is a visitor not living in Canada. You can try and extend her 6 month stay online. At a certain point she will be no longer get extensions. Staying outside for only a week is basically pointless.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - you are right to be worried. As said above, she is not allowed to live in Canada on a visitor visa. Staying five months and then returning after a week could easily cause problems at the border. Any issues she has while on the TRV could jeopardize the super visa application later. She should make sure she spends more time outside of Canada than inside of Canada in any 12 month period.