+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visit USA for 2 weeks - Open Work Permit & TRV

Jul 18, 2019
Hello everyone,
I've confusion about a situation I am in, and I want to clarify if someone can provide some insights about it.

I'm spouse of a PR resident.
- I came to Canada on visitor visa (Multi-purpose 10 years)
- We applied for my Spousal PR cum OWP application
- I already got my OWP letter
- Meanwhile since I was staying longer than 6 months, I also applied for visitor extension and I got extension until October, 2019. So I've TRV letter as well.

Now I want to visit USA for two weeks (I've USA visitor visa) during end of August/first of September.
So basically I've,
- Valid US Visa
- Visitor extension official letter (valid till October, 2019)
- Open Work Permit (valid till 2022, but I've NO job as of now)

Are these three things enough for me to go to USA, and come back to Canada safely ? FYI, I'm flying to USA, so not crossing border by car!

One of my friend is probably misguiding me or confusing me with that "I must get my work permit stamped on my passport otherwise I can't come to Canada". I feel that's not true as far as I've OWP and TRV letters in hand!

I couldn't really find that information anywhere on official CIC websites. Website only state that I should send my passport for stamping "Only if they request for it" in some application types, but clearly I couldn't find anything for OWP/TRV situation.

If I have to get my passport stamp, then how do I even do that ? Which form I should fill out and which options I should select for just passport stamping ?

If someone on this forum can clarify this confusion, then I would really appreciate that.

Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,
I've confusion about a situation I am in, and I want to clarify if someone can provide some insights about it.

I'm spouse of a PR resident.
- I came to Canada on visitor visa (Multi-purpose 10 years)
- We applied for my Spousal PR cum OWP application
- I already got my OWP letter
- Meanwhile since I was staying longer than 6 months, I also applied for visitor extension and I got extension until October, 2019. So I've TRV letter as well.

Now I want to visit USA for two weeks (I've USA visitor visa) during end of August/first of September.
So basically I've,
- Valid US Visa
- Visitor extension official letter (valid till October, 2019)
- Open Work Permit (valid till 2022, but I've NO job as of now)

Are these three things enough for me to go to USA, and come back to Canada safely ? FYI, I'm flying to USA, so not crossing border by car!

One of my friend is probably misguiding me or confusing me with that "I must get my work permit stamped on my passport otherwise I can't come to Canada". I feel that's not true as far as I've OWP and TRV letters in hand!

I couldn't really find that information anywhere on official CIC websites. Website only state that I should send my passport for stamping "Only if they request for it" in some application types, but clearly I couldn't find anything for OWP/TRV situation.

If I have to get my passport stamp, then how do I even do that ? Which form I should fill out and which options I should select for just passport stamping ?

If someone on this forum can clarify this confusion, then I would really appreciate that.

Thanks.
Short answer is that you'll most likely have no issues re-entering Canada. However there's never a guarantee you'll be allowed to re-enter if you leave. So always some small chance you could be refused entry (although very unlikely).

Jul 18, 2019
Short answer is that you'll most likely have no issues re-entering Canada. However there's never a guarantee you'll be allowed to re-enter if you leave. So always some small chance you could be refused entry (although very unlikely).
But that worst case scenario refusal won't be because "I don't have a stamp in passport" right ? I could be just being most unlucky, and not allowed back in Canada for any random reason they come up with ?

I just want to make sure I don't have to involve into procedure of sending my passport for stamping ?

prigupta

May 20, 2020
But that worst case scenario refusal won't be because "I don't have a stamp in passport" right ? I could be just being most unlucky, and not allowed back in Canada for any random reason they come up with ?

I just want to make sure I don't have to involve into procedure of sending my passport for stamping ?
i did you had any issues while reentering canada on work permit and visitors TRV you had?

I have a similar situation my spouse got his spousal work permit approved and had visitors visa already (10 years)
can he enter canada with only those or he should get new TRV? PLease advise