+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visit to US

ryan007

Star Member
Jan 26, 2012
Hello everyone,
Since July 2015 I have been working in Canada for a US based Company.This month I would be visiting our HO in US.
I had applied for renewal of my PR Card in July 2015 (just before I joined the Canada Operations of this company) after meeting the 730 odd days residency requirements (over the immediate past 5 years),
On Dec 9th 2015, I received a communication (email) from CIC-Sydney(N.S.) informing me of "processing delays".
In this communication there is a qualifying statement, " Please note that a PR card or travel document is required for all permanent residents returning to Canada on a commercial vehicle (plane, train, boat or bus)."
I need help in understanding this statement better from experienced advisers and experts in this forum.
Almost all of my peers/colleagues travel via road across the US Border in hired rent-a-car's. Does the above qualifying statement mean, I wouldn't need to show a PR card/TD on my return at the border, since I would be travelling in a private car and not a commercial vehicle?

Need expert opinion/advise please.

JimSharp

Oct 4, 2016
I am not an expert, but I was on the phone with CIC on Friday and am in a similar boat. My renewal is almost completed, but I had to take a quick trip to the states before the card will be sent. The officer in Sydney told me that I could cross in a private vehicle (car, rental-car, friends car, motorcycle, etc) from the US with my ORIGINAL landing document. She also suggested that I take a copy of my PR application if I have one (I did copy everything before sending) just in case.

But she assured me I would be permitted to cross back into Canada with my original landing doc and passport. You might want to call them to double check, and I would bring my old PR card, maybe a screen-grab of your CIC eCAS status, just to be safe.

The other option, she told me, is if I have to fly I can apply for a Returning Resident Permit (or whatever they are called now.) at the embassy. I have had to do this in the past, and it's a pain, as it takes a bit of time, but they do it fairly quickly if you are someplace where there is an actual embassy. (I did it in LA once.)

Hope this helps. I would give Sydney a call to confirm as I'm not "official" in any way, shape or form.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ryan007 said:
Does the above qualifying statement mean, I wouldn't need to show a PR card/TD on my return at the border, since I would be travelling in a private car and not a commercial vehicle?
Correct. If traveling by car, technically all you need is a passport and CBSA will be able to determine your PR status. Having your COPR and/or your expired PR card should help speed up the process with CBSA.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
ryan007 said:
Hello everyone,
Since July 2015 I have been working in Canada for a US based Company.This month I would be visiting our HO in US.
I had applied for renewal of my PR Card in July 2015 (just before I joined the Canada Operations of this company) after meeting the 730 odd days residency requirements (over the immediate past 5 years),
On Dec 9th 2015, I received a communication (email) from CIC-Sydney(N.S.) informing me of "processing delays".
In this communication there is a qualifying statement, " Please note that a PR card or travel document is required for all permanent residents returning to Canada on a commercial vehicle (plane, train, boat or bus)."
I need help in understanding this statement better from experienced advisers and experts in this forum.
Almost all of my peers/colleagues travel via road across the US Border in hired rent-a-car's. Does the above qualifying statement mean, I wouldn't need to show a PR card/TD on my return at the border, since I would be travelling in a private car and not a commercial vehicle?

Need expert opinion/advise please.

Question: It's been so long that you haven't received your PR card, do you know the reason why?

ryan007

Star Member
Jan 26, 2012
As expected, my PR renewal has gone in for a secondary review since I had stayed abroad within the first 5 years of my landing, primary reason being to take care of my sick and ageing parents.

Though technically, I waited till I safely crossed the 730 days, which co incidentally was around the time I joined this US based company.

JimSharp

Oct 4, 2016
Hey Ryan, Did they put on your eCIC page that it had gone to secondary review or did you have to call?