+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visit to Toronto and surrounding area

cordova85

Dec 3, 2017
Good day to you all.

Planning to visit Toronto next summer so looking for some advise on what we could do.

Looking to spend some time in Toronto to see the sights etc and then any suggestions for a scenic route that we can drive that includes Niagra falls and any other sights worth seeing?

Some suggestions on nice places to stay on the road trip would be good as well?

Also how long should we be looking to stay to see the best of Toronto and the surrounding area?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Where is your starting location? What is your definition of surrounding area? For surrounding area, I would include thousand island (either from US side or Canada), Sault Ste Marie (to see the canal and the lake shores) and Ottawa/Montreal.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sault St Marie is very far away. I would suggest Niagara falls, Niagara on the lake/Stratford, somewhere in the country like Collingwood/Elora/Muskoka.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sault St Marie is very far away. I would suggest Niagara falls, Niagara on the lake/Stratford, somewhere in the country like Collingwood/Elora/Muskoka.
What to see in Collingwood/Elora/Muskoka?

Winnipeg is even more farther away. But the scenery from Toronto to Winnipeg via Sault Ste Marie is nice. You can visit some provincial parks on the way.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Think they were looking for short trips around Toronto not a drive that will take a few days.

Depending on where you come from people like to see open space a nature. That's why people like place like the Elora gorge, the lakes and forest in Muskoka, etc. There is also place like Pelee Island and Prince Edward County. Think that this person may be visiting Toronto for a few weeks max.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Think they were looking for short trips around Toronto not a drive that will take a few days.

Depending on where you come from people like to see open space a nature. That's why people like place like the Elora gorge, the lakes and forest in Muskoka, etc. There is also place like Pelee Island and Prince Edward County. Think that this person may be visiting Toronto for a few weeks max.
A few weeks can make up a road trip that covers from Vancouver to Toronto/Montreal and visit Banff National park and the Prairies on the way.

There are more open spaces in the Prairies than Ontario. The drive between Toronto and Sault Ste Marie does not take a few days. I guess you don't roadtrips often.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
A few weeks can make up a road trip that covers from Vancouver to Toronto/Montreal and visit Banff National park and the Prairies on the way.

There are more open spaces in the Prairies than Ontario.
They specified they wanted to stay around Toronto. I also think most people don't want to spend everyday of their holiday sitting in the car. Much better to do a separate Western Canada trip and an Atlantic Canada another time.

If you are with your family I would suggest getting an AirBNB. You can save a lot of money having a few meals and snacks at home. You can either stay in one place and do day trips from there or maybe stay at a few places if you are looking at going on some longer trips. All depends on where you are from and what you find interesting about Canada. If you come from a big city you might be interested in seeing more nature. I know my relatives loved seeing nature because they don't see it at home.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They specified they wanted to stay around Toronto. I also think most people don't want to spend everyday of their holiday sitting in the car. Much better to do a separate Western Canada trip and an Atlantic Canada another time.

If you are with your family I would suggest getting an AirBNB. You can save a lot of money having a few meals and snacks at home. You can either stay in one place and do day trips from there or maybe stay at a few places if you are looking at going on some longer trips. All depends on where you are from and what you find interesting about Canada. If you come from a big city you might be interested in seeing more nature. I know my relatives loved seeing nature because they don't see it at home.
OP also said surrounding area. Depending on the radius, it could cover Sault Ste Marie and Montreal or Winnipeg. People don't have to spend everyday sitting in the car but sometimes people are so lazy, they drive instead of walking to a nearby mall across the street from their home for example. Or go to drive in instead.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
OP also said surrounding area. Depending on the radius, it could cover Sault Ste Marie and Montreal or Winnipeg. People don't have to spend everyday sitting in the car but sometimes people are so lazy, they drive instead of walking to a nearby mall across the street from their home for example. Or go to drive in instead.
Clearly you must live in the Sault but you should probably preface your suggestion by saying it is around an 8 hour drive from Toronto if you stop a few times. Driving from Toronto to Winnipeg takes 24 hours if you stop for meals and breaks. Most Canadians would fly. If going on a longer road trip from Toronto I would probably suggest Ottawa or Montreal which is only 4.5-5.5 hours and has more touristy things to offer.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Clearly you must live in the Sault but you should probably preface your suggestion by saying it is around an 8 hour drive from Toronto if you stop a few times. Driving from Toronto to Winnipeg takes 24 hours if you stop for meals and breaks. Most Canadians would fly. If going on a longer road trip from Toronto I would probably suggest Ottawa or Montreal which is only 4.5-5.5 hours and has more touristy things to offer.
No, I live in BC. That said, there isn't much to see in Elora/Muskoka except for the open ranges where you can find in much larger scale in the Prairies and you don't need drive everyday in order to drive to Winnipeg or Montreal. Is OP Canadian? Personally, I like the lakes of the woods near the border between Manitoba and Ontario.

Last edited: