+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visit after overstay 1 year ago

peachybear

Star Member
Mar 8, 2018
Hello,

I just would like to ask some advice or knowledge on this subject!

I wish to return to Canada in mid July - August to visit my bf and friends, I know I need to apply for the eTA since I'm a UK citizen.

I accidentally overstayed in Canada last March for around 4 months due to my ex husband not informing me my visa had arrived in the mail at his home, I was staying with my friend at the time because we wlwere taking time apart I met my current bf around this time.

I know I overstayed and have stayed out of Canada for one year this March 27th however while applying for eTA I noticed I need to put my visa number as I've had previous, I do not want to lie! I just want to know what the best option would be? Will they reject me right away since they have my previous history or allow me to explain since a year is up?

Should I wait a few months after my year is up to apply for the eTA?

I will have my return ticket, graduation from school is September so I NEES to return at the end of my trip.

I was previously in Montreal, this time will be Toronto, for 2-3 weeks I hope to stay for my bfs birthday..

Any advice on this would be greatlyappreciated!!

*I never revived an order to leave etc I just emailed CIC about why the application was taking too long, he informed me it had expired and to leave Canada asap if I was still there to avoid any removal orders*

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I wish to return to Canada in mid July - August to visit my bf and friends, I know I need to apply for the eTA since I'm a UK citizen.

I accidentally overstayed in Canada last March for around 4 months due to my ex husband not informing me my visa had arrived in the mail at his home, I was staying with my friend at the time because we wlwere taking time apart I met my current bf around this time.

I know I overstayed and have stayed out of Canada for one year this March 27th however while applying for eTA I noticed I need to put my visa number as I've had previous, I do not want to lie! I just want to know what the best option would be? Will they reject me right away since they have my previous history or allow me to explain since a year is up?

I will have my return ticket, graduation from school is September so I NEES to return at the end of my trip.

I was previously in Montreal, this time will be Toronto, for 2-3 weeks I hope to stay for my bfs birthday..

*I never revived an order to leave etc I just emailed CIC about why the application was taking too long, he informed me it had expired and to leave Canada asap if I was still there to avoid any removal orders*
I think your eTA has a high chance of being approved since you are from a visa exempt country and have been outside of Canada for a while. Make sure you answer all questions in the eTA application 100% honestly - including providing your old eTA number.

If IRCC contacts you after you have applied to ask any questions about your previous stay in Canada and the overstay, you should take full responsibility for this happening - don't blame your ex. It was entirely on you to keep track of your visa validity and know your status. Generally speaking IRCC doesn't like it when people try to use a 'dog ate my homework excuse'. You are an adult and were 100% responsible for this.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

From your previous posts, you overstayed almost a year, not 4 months.

All you can do is apply and be 100% honest. As scylla said, if asked by IRCC, take responsibility for the overstay. It was not your ex's fault. It was entirely your responsibility to maintain your status.

Reactions: Bryanna

peachybear

Star Member
Mar 8, 2018
From your previous posts, you overstayed almost a year, not 4 months.

All you can do is apply and be 100% honest. As scylla said, if asked by IRCC, take responsibility for the overstay. It was not your ex's fault. It was entirely your responsibility to maintain your status.
At that time I wasn't aware of exactly how long, now I know it was at least 4 months, it's been almost a year now. I was due to leave December 4th I left March 27th.

I absolutely agree it was my responsibility, I maintained contact with him for the sole purpose of ensuring the visa would be received, I never imagined he wouldn't tell me or dispose of it etc, I am not entirely sure what happened to it. (we weren't on bad terms)

I emailed CIC finally after I grew suspicious of him constantly telling me it hadn't arrived. I would never lie to CIC, I want to do things honestly.. I've grown and learned from a previous mistake during a horrendous time...

peachybear

Star Member
Mar 8, 2018
I think your eTA has a high chance of being approved since you are from a visa exempt country and have been outside of Canada for a while. Make sure you answer all questions in the eTA application 100% honestly - including providing your old eTA number.

If IRCC contacts you after you have applied to ask any questions about your previous stay in Canada and the overstay, you should take full responsibility for this happening - don't blame your ex. It was entirely on you to keep track of your visa validity and know your status. Generally speaking IRCC doesn't like it when people try to use a 'dog ate my homework excuse'. You are an adult and were 100% responsible for this.
I wouldn't know how to explain why without mentioning him though, he is ONE of the reasons why I never received it, I honestly do not know what I should say then, I don't want to lie!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I wouldn't know how to explain why without mentioning him though, he is ONE of the reasons why I never received it, I honestly do not know what I should say then, I don't want to lie!
He's not the reason.

When you moved out, it was your responsibility to notify IRCC that you had a new address so that any mail related to your visa could be delivered there. You failed to do that. You also could have checked the status of your application online or contacted IRCC by phone to request status more proactively. So quite easily explained.

peachybear

Star Member
Mar 8, 2018
He's not the reason.

When you moved out, it was your responsibility to notify IRCC that you had a new address so that any mail related to your visa could be delivered there. You failed to do that. You also could have checked the status of your application online or contacted IRCC by phone to request status more proactively. So quite easily explained.
I was simply staying with my friend for a break, it was not a permanent thing. I didn't have the visa online though, I was obviously young and overwhelmed, my life started to go downhill, it was an honest mistake..

Merrymerry

Jul 1, 2019
I was simply staying with my friend for a break, it was not a permanent thing. I didn't have the visa online though, I was obviously young and overwhelmed, my life started to go downhill, it was an honest mistake..
hi. I wonder how it went through.. Did you come back in Canada?