+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa Type for the accompanying family members (Spouse + Child)

mehrdad62

Oct 15, 2021
Hi everyone,
I've received the LMIA letter and other required documents from my employer. I'm trying to figure out the proper visa type for my spouse and my child (5 years old).

I have 2 questions:
1. I concluded that my child doesn't need a Study permit (based on this: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare/minor-children/need-permit.html) , so I'm left with 2 choices: A. "Visit - All Other types" and B. "Visit - Tourism". Which one is the right one for my case?

2. My Spouse "may" want to go to college after we've moved to Canada. So, is it safe to request a "Study permit" right now? Or do you suggest that we get an open work permit for her and request for a Study permit whenever she is ready to study?

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
1. A.
2. Your spouse is only eligible for a study permit if she has admission to a post secondary school. She would be paying international fees too. Then she needs to show career and education progressions, strong ties to home country and the funds as an international student. So apply for open work permit.

Reactions: mehrdad62

wazaratullah

Apr 9, 2022
My Questions are relevant to above questions. So guideline is requested.
I am going to apply for study permit. My Spouse and two Minors (Daughter 11 years & Son 08 years) will accompany. I am applying open work permit for my spouse and for minor I selected option Visit-All other types as advised in above response.

After filling the questionnaire, a checklist is generated. Following clarifications are required.

1. After list of all documents (mine), one more document is mentioned as optional named "Schedule 1- Application for a Temporary Resident Visa made outside Canada (IMM 5257)". Is this document mandatory to submit? What is the purpose of this documents?
2. Same document is available in my spouse check list. And the question is same as for me.
3. In case of both minors, one application document is required named "Application for Visitor (Temporary Resident Visa) made outside Canada (IMM 5257)". is it required to submit?
4. Similarly for both minors, same optional documents is required as in case of me and my spouse. Is this document also mandatory?

Further after uploading all documents, what will be next, as only total estimated fee is mentioned & then next option available is to exit the questionnaire. How fee will be paid and how application will be submitted?

Thanks & Regards,
Wazarat Ullah

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My Questions are relevant to above questions. So guideline is requested.
I am going to apply for study permit. My Spouse and two Minors (Daughter 11 years & Son 08 years) will accompany. I am applying open work permit for my spouse and for minor I selected option Visit-All other types as advised in above response.

After filling the questionnaire, a checklist is generated. Following clarifications are required.

1. After list of all documents (mine), one more document is mentioned as optional named "Schedule 1- Application for a Temporary Resident Visa made outside Canada (IMM 5257)". Is this document mandatory to submit? What is the purpose of this documents?
2. Same document is available in my spouse check list. And the question is same as for me.
3. In case of both minors, one application document is required named "Application for Visitor (Temporary Resident Visa) made outside Canada (IMM 5257)". is it required to submit?
4. Similarly for both minors, same optional documents is required as in case of me and my spouse. Is this document also mandatory?

Further after uploading all documents, what will be next, as only total estimated fee is mentioned & then next option available is to exit the questionnaire. How fee will be paid and how application will be submitted?

Thanks & Regards,
Wazarat Ullah
You should post in the international student section. Permits/visas are not guaranteed for spouses of international students although more likely if you doing a masters of PhD.