+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa to take oath

RamMur

Aug 17, 2015
Me and my family received PR in 2011. I moved to Canada in 2012 and got my PR renewed recently. My wife and daughter have stayed back home and could not move. Their PR is not renewed. My daughter is below 18. I am planning to apply for citizenship for her along with me. Once citizenship is approved, will my daughter get visa to come to Canada to take oath.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
RamMur said:
Me and my family received PR in 2011. I moved to Canada in 2012 and got my PR renewed recently. My wife and daughter have stayed back home and could not move. Their PR is not renewed. My daughter is below 18. I am planning to apply for citizenship for her along with me. Once citizenship is approved, will my daughter get visa to come to Canada to take oath.
always seems strange that a minor who does not live in Canada, has not fulfilled the residency requirement to apply for citizenship as they do not need to and may have no current intention to reside but according to rules if under 18 and parent has met residency for citizenship the parent can also apply for the minor.

Note though the fact daughters PR not renewed may be questioned as being a PR resident is a requirement for an under 18. As per http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp

Even though no residency PR technically never gets cancelled automatically so in order to travel to Canada may need to check if a minor needs a PRTD to travel back as well as passport given no current PR card. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5529ETOC.asp

RamMur

Aug 17, 2015
In your application, you will need to show that you have met the requirements to remain a permanent resident. You must submit a separate application with the correct fees for each person in your family who needs a travel document, regardless of their age.

Above is what the website says about PR TD. Does it mean that principal applicant only need to prove that he/she has met the PR requirements to remain a PR or all the family members for whom a PRTD is being applied, too should have met the requirements.

Please clarify.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your daughter as a minor does not have to meet the RO for citizenship but her PR status may not be in question either.

Not meeting the RO for her PR, it is possible that she could be denied a travel document in order to take the oath and if that happens, she would lose her PR status and would no longer qualify to become a citizen as she is no longer PR.

Instead of applying for a TD, you could try to get her a US visa and have her fly to the US and enter Canada via the land border. If she were to get reported on entry due to not meeting the RO, her PR status would be in question and she would no longer qualify for citizenship. However, if she were not to get reported, she could take the oath and become a citizen.