+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa to attend meetings with business partner

alponomar

Aug 17, 2018
Hello!
I am a citizen of Russia but now I am living and working in the Netherlands.
I need a visa to attend a series of meetings with a business partner.
I am trying to apply online and I am bit confused by the list of documents I need to submit.

1. Where do I need to submit the invitation from the business partner? In
"Business Activities Description" or "Purpose of Travel - Other" ?

2. Do I need a statement from my employer that he will pay for my expenses? Or just flight tickets and hotel booking? Or both? If I need a statement from my employer - what should be in it?

3. If my employer pays for my expenses, do I still need to provide a bank statement from my own bank account? Do I need any statements about property ownership?

Thanks in advance,
Elena

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Your application will have a great degree of difficulty as you are an expat applying for a business visa. Even one of those criteria alone figures in almost a certain rejection if the application package is not comprehensive.

You have to figure to show as many official documents as possible, both business and personal, to prove the nature of your business meetings in Canada, and your ties to the Netherlands.

It also doesn’t matter which part you upload a document in, just as long as you present it.

alponomar

Aug 17, 2018
Your application will have a great degree of difficulty as you are an expat applying for a business visa. Even one of those criteria alone figures in almost a certain rejection if the application package is not comprehensive.

You have to figure to show as many official documents as possible, given the nature of your business meetings in Canada, and your ties to the Netherlands.

Thank you!

Can you be more specific? What should be in a statement from my employer? Where can I find the requirements?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thank you!

Can you be more specific? What should be in a statement from my employer? Where can I find the requirements?
You’ll have to search this forum for business visa cases. Unfortunately I do not know too many successful examples because they are very stringent on this. It’s something you’ll have to figure out to your own best judgement, or a more knowledgeable member here can chime in.

alponomar

Aug 17, 2018
Thank you a lot!
I also saw your edit. I'll try to figure it out.

One more question. You say "business visa" but I am applying for Visitors Visa (temporary resident visa), with the purpose of stay - attend meetings with the business partner (duration - one week). Is it the same as a business visa?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
One more question. You say "business visa" but I am applying for Visitors Visa (temporary resident visa), with the purpose of stay - attend meetings with the business partner (duration - one week). Is it the same as a business visa?
You would be applying for a Business TRV (Temporary Resident Visa).

Some points you need to keep in mind:
1. You must not state the possibility of visiting Canada quite often for meetings as it could incorrectly indicate that you might work for a Canadian employer.

2. Your current employer must pay for your entire visit from company funds. You would not pay for any component of the business visit.

3. You would also need to prove why you and not one of your colleagues must visit + why it is necessary for you to visit in person + your interactions so far with this Canadian business partner.

4. You must also prove your immigration status in the Netherlands

5. Although it is a business meeting, you must prove you have personal and other professional reasons to return to NL and/or to Russia

Do post the list of documents you intend to submit so that it's easier to advise

Reactions: bellaluna

alponomar

Aug 17, 2018
You would be applying for a Business TRV (Temporary Resident Visa).

Some points you need to keep in mind:
1. You must not state the possibility of visiting Canada quite often for meetings as it could incorrectly indicate that you might work for a Canadian employer.

2. Your current employer must pay for your entire visit from company funds. You would not pay for any component of the business visit.

3. You would also need to prove why you and not one of your colleagues must visit + why it is necessary for you to visit in person + your interactions so far with this Canadian business partner.

4. You must also prove your immigration status in the Netherlands

5. Although it is a business meeting, you must prove you have personal and other professional reasons to return to NL and/or to Russia

Do post the list of documents you intend to submit so that it's easier to advise

1. Only one visit of one week is stated in the invitation.
2. Yes, ok.
3. It is also stated in the invitation. But I can ask my employer to write a letter where he says the same.
4. Yes, have it.
5. Maybe a statement of property ownership? And a copy of the contract with my employer?

I intend to submit the following documents:
1. Invitation from business partner where all required information is stated - about them, me, dates, reasons and description of activities.
2. Flights and hotel bookings
3. Pay slips for the last 6 months
4. Two contracts with the employer - the current one and the future one (starts in November)
5. A letter from the employer with information about business activities description, employer's intention to pay for my expenses, and why he thinks that i should attend meetings and not someone else
6. Translated to English statement that I have an apartment in the Netherlands

Is it comprehensive enough?
Do I need financial statements from my bank account? Copy of passport of my employer?

Thank you again for your help and quick response!

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
1. Only one visit of one week is stated in the invitation.
The invitation letter must state the 24/7 contact information of the person you are visiting.

2. Yes, ok.
Evidence that your employer will be paying for your visit, not just statements/explanations.

3. It is also stated in the invitation. But I can ask my employer to write a letter where he says the same.
Have you yourself interacted with this Canadian business partner? You need to include 1-2 evidence for it (emails, for example)

Again, letters/explanations will work only if backed by evidence.

4. Yes, have it.
Copies of your Long Term Visa, Residence Permit, Work Permit, Medical Insurance, etc

5. Maybe a statement of property ownership? And a copy of the contract with my employer?
Copies of your property ownership documents, not just the statement + indicative market value of the property (self valuation or by a property assessor) + property tax receipts/local council taxes, etc.

I intend to submit the following documents:
1. Invitation from business partner where all required information is stated - about them, me, dates, reasons and description of activities.
Okay.

Also, any business partnership agreements + prints of the Canadian host company's web pages + some evidence to show your employer/company has had business interactions with the Canadian business partner.

2. Flights and hotel bookings
Provisional, not paid for until the visa is issued.

Also, company bank statement (your employer's) + company registration in NL + if you have been issued credit cards for business purposes.

3. Pay slips for the last 6 months
Also, you personal tax returns and/or employer deducted tax.

4. Two contracts with the employer - the current one and the future one (starts in November)
Okay.

5. A letter from the employer with information about business activities description, employer's intention to pay for my expenses, and why he thinks that i should attend meetings and not someone else
Okay.

6. Translated to English statement that I have an apartment in the Netherlands
Rent agreement + bank statement for direct debits towards the rent.

Is it comprehensive enough?
Do I need financial statements from my bank account?
Yes, you must include your personal bank statement (no large last minute deposits/transfers.... if any, these must be explained and the source of those deposits must match your income).

Other evidence (if applicable) to demonstrate your ties to both NL and Russia:
Financial investments + any property/land ownership + dependent family members (if you are married/have children or your parents are dependent on you) + any other work or personal commitments you must return to after your intended visit.

A Travel History explanation for the last 10 years: Visa details + entry/exit dates for each visit + purpose of each visit + scan any valid visas.

Do highlight travel to visa-required countries + any business travel to visa-required countries (US, UK, Schengen, Australia, NZ, etc).

Documents must be in English/French or translated to English/French by a certified translator + copies of the notarized originals must be included,

Copy of passport of my employer?
Only business registration, financials/bank statements and tax documents of your employer/company

Reactions: Buletruck

alponomar

Aug 17, 2018
The invitation letter must state the 24/7 contact information of the person you are visiting.

Evidence that your employer will be paying for your visit, not just statements/explanations.

Have you yourself interacted with this Canadian business partner? You need to include 1-2 evidence for it (emails, for example)

Again, letters/explanations will work only if backed by evidence.

Copies of your Long Term Visa, Residence Permit, Work Permit, Medical Insurance, etc

Copies of your property ownership documents, not just the statement + indicative market value of the property (self valuation or by a property assessor) + property tax receipts/local council taxes, etc.

Okay.

Also, any business partnership agreements + prints of the Canadian host company's web pages + some evidence to show your employer/company has had business interactions with the Canadian business partner.

Provisional, not paid for until the visa is issued.

Also, company bank statement (your employer's) + company registration in NL + if you have been issued credit cards for business purposes.

Also, you personal tax returns and/or employer deducted tax.

Okay.

Okay.

Rent agreement + bank statement for direct debits towards the rent.

Yes, you must include your personal bank statement (no large last minute deposits/transfers.... if any, these must be explained and the source of those deposits must match your income).

Other evidence (if applicable) to demonstrate your ties to both NL and Russia:
Financial investments + any property/land ownership + dependent family members (if you are married/have children or your parents are dependent on you) + any other work or personal commitments you must return to after your intended visit.

A Travel History explanation for the last 10 years: Visa details + entry/exit dates for each visit + purpose of each visit + scan any valid visas.

Do highlight travel to visa-required countries + any business travel to visa-required countries (US, UK, Schengen, Australia, NZ, etc).

Documents must be in English/French or translated to English/French by a certified translator + copies of the notarized originals must be included,

Only business registration, financials/bank statements and tax documents of your employer/company

Thank you a lot for the detailed answer! I'll do my best