+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa renewal

Kirbslair

Feb 26, 2020
My visa expires in August. Intending to go Canada in July for my granddaughter’s birthday. How to renew my visa?

Kirbslair

Feb 26, 2020
Do I have to inform them of my length of stay for them to give me the extension? By the way, I’m from Malaysia.

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Do I have to inform them of my length of stay for them to give me the extension? By the way, I’m from Malaysia.
no as mentioned visa validity is what lets you travel to Canada, so its fine if its going to expire in a month as long as you enter before it expires. The border officer will decide how long to give you to stay. You do not need a visa extension. After it expires you will have to apply for a brand new visa when you wish to return.

Kirbslair

Feb 26, 2020
Ok tks. Again my entry is not a problem but return ticket is dated end of September and If CBSA only gives me a month stay in Canada then what happens?

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Ok tks. Again my entry is not a problem but return ticket is dated end of September and If CBSA only gives me a month stay in Canada then what happens?
Then you will have to change your return ticket or stay illegally. Don't recommend doing the latter as your visa is about to expire and you will be applying for a new one. A brand new one just like you did the first time, only now you can add Canadian travel and following visa rules to your application as proof. That should help getting a new one.
Im not sure if you can apply for an extension if they have specifically written a shorter stay.....not sure hopefully others can help. Also not sure if I would apply for an extension if they have given me a shorter stay. Think I personally would honor it as you are about to apply for a new one.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Then you will have to change your return ticket or stay illegally. Don't recommend doing the latter as your visa is about to expire and you will be applying for a new one. A brand new one just like you did the first time, only now you can add Canadian travel and following visa rules to your application as proof. That should help getting a new one.
Im not sure if you can apply for an extension if they have specifically written a shorter stay.....not sure hopefully others can help. Also not sure if I would apply for an extension if they have given me a shorter stay. Think I personally would honor it as you are about to apply for a new one.
Anyone with status can apply for an extension.

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Anyone with status can apply for an extension.
lets say they give you three week stay, like they did with my wife, now if we extended that right away and stayed with implied status wouldn't they be upset with us? and next time we applied take that into account?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
lets say they give you three week stay, like they did with my wife, now if we extended that right away and stayed with implied status wouldn't they be upset with us? and next time we applied take that into account?
No, should be fine.

CBSA is generally harder on visitors, hence limiting stays upon entry. IRCC tends to be more generous with visitors, hence the usual approval of extensions (within moderation, of course).

Kirbslair

Feb 26, 2020
Thank you very much for your invaluable assistance n patience in answering all my queries. Will adhere to all travel regulations. Thank you once again.