+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa rejection for student visa because of having family in canada ??!!

parisa

Feb 11, 2008
Hi,

I have applied for visa as a studnet, my application was with scholarship, I have got my answer today that I have been rejected because of having family in Canada, I want to ask that I should be stopped to study becasu eof having family in Canada???

I have family in USA and I have been rejected because of having family in USA and now again becasu ehaving family in Canada, what should I do? I should not study becasue of having family in countries?????????????!!!!!!!!!

Since I have been to USA and europe and came back to my homecountry in the past, this is more than ridicolous that I have been rejection because that I have family in Canada and they have doubt that I came back to my homecountry??

I think being a girl form Iran , 29 years old, is more stronger reason, please help me if I can do anything since I have 2 months in front ??

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
The fact that you are a woman from Iran has no impact on your applications to the U.S. or Canada. It is illegal to discriminate based on gender in either country (unlike Iran).

The reason your student visas were rejected was because you claim that your purpose is to study, but the visa office believes it is more likely that you intend to stay. The fact that you have family in the U.S. and Canada makes it more likely that your purpose is to stay.

rahul0910

Aug 27, 2008
Why dont you apply for your immigration to Canada. If your immediate relations are there it should be much quicker.

eduardoF

Oct 15, 2008
rahul0910 said:
Why dont you apply for your immigration to Canada. If your immediate relations are there it should be much quicker.
well, because as she says, she wants to go there to study, not to live ;-)

Parisa, all you can do is reapply, and somehow make it very clear that you intend to go back to your country once you graduate. It's really silly, because if you're planning to stay abroad for 2, 3, 4 years, you don't know what you'll want to do after you complete your degree. But that's the game.

You tell them you'll go back home, and if they believe you, they'll let you go.

How did they find out that you had relatives in Canada? Did they ask about it?

Again, all you can do is reapply. If you own your home, you can use that. If you're married and your husband is staying in Iran, you can use that. If you have a job, you can ask your employer to write you a letter stating that the education you'll get in Canada is valuable. If your employer writes that you can have your job back when you graduate, so much the better.

Luiza

Nov 25, 2008
Brazil
eduardoF said:
I am not Parisa but... I guess they have it all on their system. At the Customs they asked a lot about my family in Canada, and I haven't even mentioned them. I got my first visa in the US and there they didn't ask anything about family in Canada. Now, trying to get another visa in Brazil, they have an additional form, where they ask if I have any family living in Canada...

A

Albertagoverner

Luiza said:
eduardoF said:
I am not Parisa but... I guess they have it all on their system. At the Customs they asked a lot about my family in Canada, and I haven't even mentioned them. I got my first visa in the US and there they didn't ask anything about family in Canada. Now, trying to get another visa in Brazil, they have an additional form, where they ask if I have any family living in Canada...
The family reason is apparent. If you are a paid student with bank statement of huge amount, you might have get easily. It is a new redneckism in Visa Officers. I can understand. They really don't want supergenius people getting Advanced education in thier country on the resources of Govt of Canada/University Scholarship. Or In other words, They really don't want genius people get thier degrees without investing single penny in tution fees. The best suggestion I will say is if you have any relative in any other country like Saudi Arabia or US or UK, Just go to visit that relative on tourist visa speand a month with that relative and then Apply from Canadian Consulate in relatives' country. Make sure this time don't say that you have any relative in Canada or you know anybody. Or Just go to visit your relative in canada on tourist visa and then convert that tourist visa into Student visa there.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Albertagoverner said:
The family reason is apparent. If you are a paid student with bank statement of huge amount, you might have get easily. It is a new redneckism in Visa Officers. I can understand. They really don't want supergenius people getting Advanced education in thier country on the resources of Govt of Canada/University Scholarship. Or In other words, They really don't want genius people get thier degrees without investing single penny in tution fees. The best suggestion I will say is if you have any relative in any other country like Saudi Arabia or US or UK, Just go to visit that relative on tourist visa speand a month with that relative and then Apply from Canadian Consulate in relatives' country. Make sure this time don't say that you have any relative in Canada or you know anybody. Or Just go to visit your relative in canada on tourist visa and then convert that tourist visa into Student visa there.
It wouldn't help to apply while visiting a relative somewhere else since you can't apply for a student visa from a country where you have no legal status, see:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-how.asp said:
3. Determine where you will submit your application.
You must submit your application to the visa office that is responsible for the country or region where you live.
Besides, once you have applied and they know you have family in Canada, they will still know you have family in Canada even if you try to apply at another embassy because Canadian immigration will have you on file.

The key is to prove that you have strong ties in your homeland and will return there after your studies. If you don't have strong ties to your homeland, try to find something stronger. At least try to show them that you will have good job offers waiting for you when you go back after your studies. You may also try to prove that you do not have strong ties with your family in Canada. Of course you also have to prove that you have funds to pay for your tuition and support yourself but that was not the reason for refusal in this case.

A

Albertagoverner

Leon said:
Albertagoverner said:
It wouldn't help to apply while visiting a relative somewhere else since you can't apply for a student visa from a country where you have no legal status, see:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-how.asp said:
3. Determine where you will submit your application.
You must submit your application to the visa office that is responsible for the country or region where you live.
Besides, once you have applied and they know you have family in Canada, they will still know you have family in Canada even if you try to apply at another embassy because Canadian immigration will have you on file.

The key is to prove that you have strong ties in your homeland and will return there after your studies. If you don't have strong ties to your homeland, try to find something stronger. At least try to show them that you will have good job offers waiting for you when you go back after your studies. You may also try to prove that you do not have strong ties with your family in Canada. Of course you also have to prove that you have funds to pay for your tuition and support yourself but that was not the reason for refusal in this case.
Leon,
Visitor Visa itself is an Legal Status. As long as somebody is in that legal status, He can apply from a country where he is presently residing. Legal Status doesn't only just mean H1/ work/trainee/student etc. but also Visitor Visa is itself a Legal Status provided If she is following the terms of Visitor Visa. If she move and update the university in canada to send admission acceptance letter at the US/UK/Saudi address where she is residing with her relative, she can definitely apply in that country specific consulate. Yes that is very important to show ties and strong relationship in your Home Country. CIC instructions says that "Submit the application where you live" it DOES NOT says that submit "where you born or where you have Citizenship/passport/Nationality".

alexevans

Jan 29, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I just wanted to know the reason why a family in canada is considered wrong? I cannot think of one genuine reason why that is wrong. Anyone can have a family member in canada, if you have one is that your fault?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alexevans said:
I just wanted to know the reason why a family in canada is considered wrong? I cannot think of one genuine reason why that is wrong. Anyone can have a family member in canada, if you have one is that your fault?
It's not considered wrong to have family in Canada and it's not your fault but when applying for a student visa, you have to prove that you will return to your home country when your visa expires. Lack of ties to your home country as well as family in Canada may contribute to CIC believing that you do not intend to leave Canada when your visa expires.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
I thought that there is a question in the application asking if one has family in Canada. If so, to lie on the application would be a poor strategy.

Visiting other countries and obeying their visa restrictions would -- in my opinion -- strengthen your implied promise to leave Canada before the end of your temporary visa.

Then figure out all the ties you have to your home country, emphasize them, acquire any new ones you can, and re-apply.

At the end of the day it is difficult to understand visa officers' decisions. They do seem inconsistent and arbitrary at times.

amulyav

Star Member
Nov 20, 2012
Hello every one, i have been rejected a US visa twice. and now i am applying for Canada study permit. will the visa officer have a negative impression sine i ave rejected a US visa..?? will that have a negative impact on my application..?? is there any one who could answer me...??