+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa rejected devastated

Bafflingtulip

Jul 3, 2017
Hi guys,

My boyfriend who is Pakistani and I am Indian have both separately applied for study permit to Canada.

My application is still under process but for him , he received the official refusal today within 7 days of application, very quick indeed! Reasons given are:

- Purpose of visit
- Upon overall review of application , previous academic and employment history and reasonableness of undertaking proposed studies in Canada I am not satisfied that you are a bonafide student and would depart Canada at the end of authorized stay

His profile:
- Completed schooling in Lahore Pakistan - O levels and A levels ( all A's and B's)
- Studied in UK for undergraduate course BSc in Economics x 3 years - grades high, he got a 2.1 according to UK grading, graduated 2012
- Studied one more year at Kaplan in UK for ACCA but left before course ended as he didn't want to do finance
- Started working in a company in Dubai for the past 3 years or so

He gave his current company letter, has more than enough money to cover the expense of course which is only 1 year. He has graduated from a top rate uni in UK and got accepted into University of Waterloo which again is a good uni into their masters program for business entrepreneurship and technology.

I know we have to order the caip notes etc I would like your opinion,where do you think the problem lies? Your feedback is much appreciated and required at this point.

Last edited:

Avi1999

Jul 4, 2017
Greetings!!
Usually canada doesn't accept a study gap of more than 2 years but together you can both apply for other countries. There are many other options and if you need any help feel free to contact here only.
THANKS!

Bafflingtulip

Jul 3, 2017
Oh shit really? My gap is the same as his. Is it the study gap that is the only issue? Or the fact that he is an expat here and they feel he has no ties?

Do you think he has a better shot if he works in Pakistan and applies from there?

good boy

Feb 17, 2017
Hi guys,

My boyfriend who is Pakistani and I am Indian ( woohoo recipe for disaster) have both separately applied for study permit to Canada.

My application is still under process but for him , he received the official refusal today within 7 days of application, very quick indeed! Reasons given are:

- Purpose of visit
- Upon overall review of application , previous academic and employment history and reasonableness of undertaking proposed studies in Canada I am not satisfied that you are a bonafide student and would depart Canada at the end of authorized stay

His profile:
- Completed schooling in Lahore Pakistan - O levels and A levels ( all A's and B's)
- Studied in UK for undergraduate course BSc in Economics x 3 years - grades high, he got a 2.1 according to UK grading, graduated 2012
- Studied one more year at Kaplan in UK for ACCA but left before course ended as he didn't want to do finance

He gave his current company letter, has more than enough money to cover the expense of course which is only 1 year. He has graduated from a top rate uni in UK and got accepted into University of Waterloo which again is a good uni into their masters program for business entrepreneurship and technology.

I know we have to order the caip notes etc I would like your opinion,where do you think the problem lies? This was a new break for us and a way to be together, really devastated especially if I get my visa and he still has to stay back. He is considering going to Pak and applying after a year. Don't know what to do and totally feel helpless. Your feedback is much appreciated and required at this point.
Study gap is not an issue if explained with evidence. There are several examples in this forum where applicants received visa after LONG study gap (the extreme one is a recent case, 17 years gap!)

For this particular case, there are three weak points- applied from another country (that makes tie to home country weak); dropping out of past course (raises question whether he will do the same in Canada) and current employment situation (if already in a good job, what else will he gain from proposed program?)

These are all fixable issues.

Show good ties (family member/business/property in applicant's name/ job opportunity following this degree) in home country and country of residence .
Explain in SOP why dropped out, why study gap, how this degree will fetch promotion/improvement in career (may be letter from employer that they will give promotion or something in that line)
Emphasize he will return to dubai/ Pakistan where he has good job prospects (provide job ads)
Needless to say, proposed study must be in line with past education and experience. Explain that well in SOP. If can't, find more suitable program and reapply.

Relationship across border is a pain, especially with India- Pakistan. I will be happy to help you out to prep SOP. Shoot me a personal message once you have Caips .

Last edited:
Reactions: Poojanaidu

Bafflingtulip

Jul 3, 2017
Thank you so much for your detailed comments goodboy.

In the SOP we did write why he dropped the course because he didn't want to focus on finance but I guess we will have to focus more on why.

Maybe an affidavit from his dad's business that he will join back after one year? That was what we stated in SOP that he was studying entrepreneurship degree as he wanted to set up his own business in pak with brother, maybe this was the problem.

Regarding proposed study this makes sense he did BSC Econ following with Masters in Entrepreneurship and Technology but will emphasize more.

Do you reckon we should wait to apply next year or is there still time to reapply? Course starts September.

Avi1999

Jul 4, 2017

In the SOP we did write why he dropped the course because he didn't want to focus on finance but I guess we will have to focus more on why.

Maybe an affidavit from his dad's business that he will join back after one year? That was what we stated in SOP that he was studying entrepreneurship degree as he wanted to set up his own business in pak with brother, maybe this was the problem.

Regarding proposed study this makes sense he did BSC Econ following with Masters in Entrepreneurship and Technology but will emphasize more.

Do you reckon we should wait to apply next year or is there still time to reapply? Course starts September.
that is what i said there are a very few like 1 in 1000 who gets visa for a study gap more than 2 years i have been a consultant since 8years and I know the aspects stop wasting time here and look for countries like australia or european region

good boy

Feb 17, 2017

Dad's letter to join family business is a good tie. But most important thing is consistency of internal logic. Your situation, future plan and evidence produced should not contradict each other. So there is no single correct way, but no matter what way you choose, you should explain things properly.

We have to wait for CAIPS to know specific reason. At this point everything is speculation.

It is too late for fall 2017. He should defer it to next available semester.

For study gap- I came with 3 yrs gap; 2 of my colleagues with 4 yrs gap; numerous examples in this forum with more than 5 yrs gap- many old members can confirm that. Check skape7 's posts. He had 17 yrs gap. Also you can search in the search bar with suitable keywords related to study gap. I did my search before. I am quite convinced that it is not the gap but the lack of documentation and reasonable future plan which leads to rejection.

good boy

Feb 17, 2017
It will be misleading if I don't mention that even with all the remedies I prescribed, there is always a chance of rejection and study gap indeed works against applicant's interest. How hard the hit is depends on rest of the package. European countries, in general, have little relaxed visa policies. Things might get easier for both of you there. That's not a bad option at all. Although language problem, immigration policies are important issues to consider for long term ventures.

Bafflingtulip

Jul 3, 2017
Dad's letter to join family business is a good tie. But most important thing is consistency of internal logic. Your situation, future plan and evidence produced should not contradict each other. So there is no single correct way, but no matter what way you choose, you should explain things properly.

We have to wait for CAIPS to know specific reason. At this point everything is speculation.

For study gap- I came with 3 yrs gap; 2 of my colleagues with 4 yrs gap; numerous examples in this forum with more than 5 yrs gap- many old members can confirm that. Check skape7 's posts. He had 17 yrs gap. Also you can search in the search bar with suitable keywords related to study gap. I did my search before. I am quite convinced that it is not the gap but the lack of documentation and reasonable future plan which leads to rejection.
Yeah I thought the same. It is better to defer ( although they don't have option) , he can reapply and apply earlier so we know if he is in our out. Even suggested PR route if all else fails. Without the CAIPS we wont know the core reasons.

Bafflingtulip

Jul 3, 2017
It will be misleading if I don't mention that even with all the remedies I prescribed, there is always a chance of rejection and study gap indeed works against applicant's interest. How hard the hit is depends on rest of the package. European countries, in general, have little relaxed visa policies. Things might get easier for both of you there. That's not a bad option at all. Although language problem, immigration policies are important issues to consider for long term ventures.
Europe is in a volatile place currently so that's out. Truly Canada is the easiest place to immigrate to and express entry we are both eligible for it. Or one of us goes and gets the PR haha. Really devastating when you have everything in hand and still get rejected.

good boy

Feb 17, 2017
Europe is in a volatile place currently so that's out. Truly Canada is the easiest place to immigrate to and express entry we are both eligible for it. Or one of us goes and gets the PR haha. Really devastating when you have everything in hand and still get rejected.
Don't give up. There are people in this forum who made it on fourth attempt. But it is prudent to keep other options open, just a fall back plan.

futurestudent

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016

gap in education should not be a problem if it has been explained properly in the SOP. I have been rejected twice and I agree without CAIPS, it is very difficult to reapply. It is just waste of money. try caipsgcms.com. They have very good service.

Playcold

Star Member
May 20, 2017
Greetings!!
Usually canada doesn't accept a study gap of more than 2 years but together you can both apply for other countries. There are many other options and if you need any help feel free to contact here only.
THANKS!
Thats false!!
There are those with 10 years gap but got their visas to go study.

andreija_4

Jul 12, 2017
Hi guys,

My boyfriend who is Pakistani and I am Indian have both separately applied for study permit to Canada.

- Purpose of visit

His profile:

I know we have to order the caip notes etc I would like your opinion,where do you think the problem lies? Your feedback is much appreciated and required at this point.
Hi, did he present upfront medical or was he requested one?

Fsnext

Jul 18, 2017
Pls am writing from Nigeria, I apply for study permit on 14 of July 2017 for January intake but I forgot to submit my bsc certificate along with my application since Is not included in checklist for visa requirement.. But I fill all my educational aspect as required on the visa application form..pls kindly advice me on what to do if necessary