+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa received with 1 year validity

Brainteaser

Sep 12, 2019
Hi all,

My parents recently got their stamped passports back from IRCC Delhi office and looks like they were given a 1-year visitors visa- V1. Their passports were renewed in 2021 and are valid until 2031. Does anybody know why IRCC may have given them a 1-yr visa instead of a 10-yr visa? We had applied (2nd time) through the new IRCC portal.

Reactions: kuldip25

charliem

Jul 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2013
Doc's Request.
17-10-2013
AOR Received.
18-10-2013
File Transfer...
March 2014
Med's Request
March 2, 2015. AIP received same day
Med's Done....
March 3, 2015.
Interview........
"Decision made": 1 April 2015
Hi all,

My parents recently got their stamped passports back from IRCC Delhi office and looks like they were given a 1-year visitors visa- V1. Their passports were renewed in 2021 and are valid until 2031. Does anybody know why IRCC may have given them a 1-yr visa instead of a 10-yr visa? We had applied (2nd time) through the new IRCC portal.
The duration of the visa is based on the discretion of the visa officer.
I once applied for a 12-month visa and was given 6 months. I returned the passport and asked for 12 months (to be able to complete my course), I was still given 6 months!!
Take what you got and run. Your parents will extend their stay and pay more (government wants that too!)

haseebali

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
The duration of the visa is based on the discretion of the visa officer.
I once applied for a 12-month visa and was given 6 months. I returned the passport and asked for 12 months (to be able to complete my course), I was still given 6 months!!
Take what you got and run. Your parents will extend their stay and pay more (government wants that too!)
Wrong assumption.
The visa is granted as per the validity of your biometrics + passport validity, if the biometrics are valid for 5 years and your passport is valid for 10 years then you only get 5 years and in second case your biometrics are valid for 10 years and passport is only valid for 5 years so you will get 5 years visa only.

So in your case your parents didn’t updated the biometrics which cost them another $80 each applicant so they got the visa as per their biometrics validity date although their passport is valid till 2031 but biometrics were not valid until 2031.

Brainteaser

Sep 12, 2019
Wrong assumption.
The visa is granted as per the validity of your biometrics + passport validity, if the biometrics are valid for 5 years and your passport is valid for 10 years then you only get 5 years and in second case your biometrics are valid for 10 years and passport is only valid for 5 years so you will get 5 years visa only.

So in your case your parents didn’t updated the biometrics which cost them another $80 each applicant so they got the visa as per their biometrics validity date although their passport is valid till 2031 but biometrics were not valid until 2031.
The biometrics were done in 2021 and are valid until 2031 too. There is no issue with the dates here.. if it is an officer who decided this, I am okay.. But I have a feeling that this is a system glitch..

Reactions: swan0206

charliem

Jul 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2013
Doc's Request.
17-10-2013
AOR Received.
18-10-2013
File Transfer...
March 2014
Med's Request
March 2, 2015. AIP received same day
Med's Done....
March 3, 2015.
Interview........
"Decision made": 1 April 2015
The biometrics were done in 2021 and are valid until 2031 too. There is no issue with the dates here.. if it is an officer who decided this, I am okay.. But I have a feeling that this is a system glitch..
I thought it may be a typo in someone entering the number 1, instead of 10. But it could be other factors. It is not only passport and biometrics that count. Those are the last considerations. The time you are given depends on what you want to do in Canada and whether you may want to return several times after the first entry.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,

Did they have strong ties, good international travel history, etc.? If there are concerns about their ties and whether they will return home visitors are often given a shorter duration TRV. Would suggest they visit and return home within the 6 months (if they are granted 6 months stay) and then reapply for a new TRV. They can try to extend their stay past 6 months but would personally limit the visit so there aren’t any concerns they are trying to live in Canada.

kuldip25

Mar 23, 2021
Hi all,

If you don't mind, please share timeline

Brainteaser

Sep 12, 2019
Did they have strong ties, good international travel history, etc.? If there are concerns about their ties and whether they will return home visitors are often given a shorter duration TRV. Would suggest they visit and return home within the 6 months (if they are granted 6 months stay) and then reapply for a new TRV. They can try to extend their stay past 6 months but would personally limit the visit so there aren’t any concerns they are trying to live in Canada.
Strong ties, prior trips to USA. They also have a valid US visitors visa.