+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa Office (VO) Express Entry Question

MoeD

Apr 23, 2017
Hi All,

I just received my AOR on June 1st, and I'm applying as FSW out but I have a couple of questions regarding Visa Offices:

- I've seen a lot of talk on the forum about files being transferred to local VOs, at what stage does that happen? - What happens once the file is transferred to local VO? Is there any processing done there or only for visa stamping?
- Is the local visa office basically the embassy in the applicant's country of residency?

Thanks for the help :)

Last edited:

smalkawi

Star Member
Jan 28, 2017
Hi All,

I just received my AOR on June 1st, and I'm applying as FSW out but I have a couple of questions regarding Visa Offices:

- I've seen a lot of talk on the forum about files being transferred to local VOs, at what stage does that happen? - What happens once the file is transferred to local VO? Is there any processing done there or only for visa stamping?
- Is the local visa office basically the embassy in the applicant's country of residency?

Thanks for the help :)

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Bump! Anyone?
Based on what I've seen on this forum, files being transferred to a Local Visa Office (because not all are, apparently) are SUPPOSEDLY transferred there at the beginning of the "IP2 stage", right after an eligibility recommendation has been made on the applicant. At the Local Visa Office, the eligibility is supposedly finalized, and the background check (Security assessment is conducted). If the file is ultimately approved, the Local Visa Office will send the PPR email/notice (Request for Passport) as well, and then provide the visa stamp and COPR once the passport is received.

The Local Visa Office is often the Canadian Embassy/Consulate/High Commission in your country of residence, but persons' files are also distributed to Local Visa Offices in other nearby countries, based on the local visa offices' workloads. So, for example, I live in Kingston, Jamaica - my local visa office is the Canadian High Commission in Kingston, but many other Jamaicans' file are sent to the Local Visa Office in Port-of-Spain, Trinidad, supposedly because the Kingston Local Visa Office couldn't accommodate their files at the time due to work load.

Last edited:

degm

May 31, 2017
Based on what I've seen on this forum, files being transferred to a Local Visa Office (because not all are, apparently) are SUPPOSEDLY transferred there at the beginning of the "IP2 stage", right after an eligibility recommendation has been made on the applicant. At the Local Visa Office, the eligibility is supposedly finalized, and the background check (Security assessment is conducted). If the file is ultimately approved, the Local Visa Office will send the PPR email/notice (Request for Passport) as well, and then provide the visa stamp and COPR once the passport is received.

The Local Visa Office is often the Canadian Embassy/Consulate/High Commission in your country of residence, but persons' files are also distributed to Local Visa Offices based on their workloads. So, for example, I live in Kingston, Jamaica - my local visa office is the Canadian High Commission in Kingston, but many other Jamaicans' file are sent to the Local Visa Office in Port-of-Spain, Trinidad, supposedly because the Kingston Local Visa Office couldn't accommodate their files at the time due to work load.
Thank you! I hope you´re right ;):)

StevieFray

Jan 26, 2015
Nomination.....
17-07-2017
Passport Req..
15-01-2018

The Local Visa Office is often the Canadian Embassy/Consulate/High Commission in your country of residence, but persons' files are also distributed to Local Visa Offices in other nearby countries, based on the local visa offices' workloads. So, for example, I live in Kingston, Jamaica - my local visa office is the Canadian High Commission in Kingston, but many other Jamaicans' file are sent to the Local Visa Office in Port-of-Spain, Trinidad, supposedly because the Kingston Local Visa Office couldn't accommodate their files at the time due to work load.
I'm originally from the Bahamas but reside in the US. Will my LVO be Ottawa or Kingston?

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
I'm originally from the Bahamas but reside in the US. Will my LVO be Ottawa or Kingston?
I think your LVO is more likely to be chosen by your country of residence, not citizenship (so you won't have to ship your passport half way around the world, maybe? :p) So I SUSPECT yours will be Ottawa...

Reactions: Wandering Mind

StevieFray

Jan 26, 2015
Nomination.....
17-07-2017
Passport Req..
15-01-2018
Lol we
I think your LVO is more likely to be chosen by your country of residence, not citizenship (so you won't have to ship your passport half way around the world, maybe? :p) So I SUSPECT yours will be Ottawa...
Lol well when that time comes I need to insure my package just in case

malaz

Oct 19, 2017
I am based in South Korea, is my LVO going to be Manilla? Or the embassy in Korea?
I noticed that Manilla takes forever to process the application!

Mystico_90

May 11, 2013
Canada
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Halifax, NS
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
20-08-2017
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
05-09-2017

Hi,
Thanks your answer. Is it true that moving file to LVO means the NOC code that I provided with my job letter is being verified? Please share your experience.
Thanks for your help :)

OdinNguyen

Mar 30, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sometimes it is just for distribution of load. Because the office that process your files is overloaded, mean you file are collecting dirt for months.

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Hi,
Thanks your answer. Is it true that moving file to LVO means the NOC code that I provided with my job letter is being verified? Please share your experience.
Thanks for your help :)
I wouldn't be able to share my experience here as I don't work with IRCC and therefore don't have complete information about the review process :) I also didn't order GCMS notes, so I don't have recorded information about the stages of review that my file went through .

That being said, the SUPPOSED stage at which your file is moved to the LVO is after your eligibility recommendation is made - once it gets to the LVO, the eligibility recommendation is supposedly reviewed and approved/rejected, and your security review (background check) is conducted. My understanding of the process is that your NOC Code would be reviewed during eligibility (although not sure if it is also verified in eligibility, or if this is done in the Security (the Background Check) assessment. Either way, review of your NOC Code would supposedly be done before the file gets to the LVO, and be approved after getting to the LVO.

But review of NOC Code wouldn't be the 'trigger' to move the file to the LVO, as there are many more things that happen during the eligibility review than just NOC Code review.