+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

VISA not affixed in Passport but CoPR received

Sherinsijo

Jun 3, 2017
Hi all,

I have received my CoPR from the Canada Visa Application Centre. Since I have an Austrian passport, which is Visa-exempt, a Canadian visa was not affixed in my passport. I want to know whether I would need an eTA to enter in Canada

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hi all,

I have received my CoPR from the Canada Visa Application Centre. Since I have an Austrian passport, which is Visa-exempt, a Canadian visa was not affixed in my passport. I want to know whether I would need an eTA to enter in Canada
If Austrians need an ETA to enter Canada, then yes, you'll need that. The requirements to enter Canada (visa, or in your case, ETA) remain if you're using a commercial carrier (flying, etc). The airline will not let you board without a valid Visa/ETA if this is usually required for your passport.

If your passport allows you to enter with no ETA, then no, you won't need it. If you were flying to Canada for a holiday, would you need an ETA? If yes, then you need one now. If no, you could just arrive and walk in, then you don't need one.

The COPR is enough if you're crossing a land border in a private vehicle.

Sherinsijo

Jun 3, 2017
CoPR and a Passport are sufficient for travelling to Canada for citizen from a VISA exempt country

Visa-exempt foreign nationals who have been issued a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) document also receives an electronic authorization to travel to Canada and, therefore, does not need an eTA. This process is not visible to these individuals, and they do not need to print out any additional information. They will, however, need to travel to Canada with their valid passport and valid Confirmation of Permanent Residence document.
So if you are from a visa-exempt country and have a Confirmation of Permanent Residence document, you don’t need an eTA. And make sure you travel to Canada with your valid passport and your valid Confirmation of Permanent Residence document.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1184&top=16