+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa issue due to canada post error

MD81

Sep 19, 2011
Hi there ive been in canada for a year now on a temporary visitor visa. I had applied for an extension after the first 6 months, filled out all the relevant documentation and paid the fees online. What basically happened was i provided all the information requested and on my cic account it shows that i did but for some reason the website had screwed up. This is where it gets complicated! My and my canadian fiance moved into a new house that had just been built so we had no mail box, the mail that had been sent was held by canada post and not all of it was given to us when we went in to check. Eventually the tell us "we found this letter laying around and its for your address" that letter was from the cic to say that there had been a problem with my application as i had not submitted my passport stamp picture, which i had and it shows the date it was recieved on my cic online account for extension and that i had 90 days to appeal. We recieved this letter one week after the 90 days. So im basically out of status due to the post office screwing up. I got the mayor of red deer involved and he has verified all the info i supplied was correct and lodged a formal complaint against canada post which they accepted responsibility for.

The thing is i have been told by cic they cannot reinstate my status and i have to leave as so much time has past. So what do i do now with returning? I have a letter of support from the Mayor of Red Deer for a new temp visitor visa and i also have a positive labour market opinion for a company that wants to hire me. Can i just drive down to the states and cross the border and stay overrnight and then come back to get a fresh stamp in my passport or what do i need to do? Ive been told i can be refused re-entry but ive done everything to the letter of the law and now im stuck. My fiance and i are common law here now as its been a year but as my status has been expired for months will that still count?

Any ideas folks cause im tearing my hair out.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Should be before the 6 months is over.Drive to the closest border with the LMO, WP application and fee payment for $150.00 and obtain your WP from there. Bring your passport too. Anyway if you leave Canada, you would have complied with the temporary nature of your visitor status. When you come back with the documents supporting your WP application it would be a fresh status albeit still temporary status as a worker.

MD81 said:
Hi there ive been in canada for a year now on a temporary visitor visa. I had applied for an extension after the first 6 months, filled out all the relevant documentation and paid the fees online. What basically happened was i provided all the information requested and on my cic account it shows that i did but for some reason the website had screwed up. This is where it gets complicated! My and my canadian fiance moved into a new house that had just been built so we had no mail box, the mail that had been sent was held by canada post and not all of it was given to us when we went in to check. Eventually the tell us "we found this letter laying around and its for your address" that letter was from the cic to say that there had been a problem with my application as i had not submitted my passport stamp picture, which i had and it shows the date it was recieved on my cic online account for extension and that i had 90 days to appeal. We recieved this letter one week after the 90 days. So im basically out of status due to the post office screwing up. I got the mayor of red deer involved and he has verified all the info i supplied was correct and lodged a formal complaint against canada post which they accepted responsibility for.

The thing is i have been told by cic they cannot reinstate my status and i have to leave as so much time has past. So what do i do now with returning? I have a letter of support from the Mayor of Red Deer for a new temp visitor visa and i also have a positive labour market opinion for a company that wants to hire me. Can i just drive down to the states and cross the border and stay overrnight and then come back to get a fresh stamp in my passport or what do i need to do? Ive been told i can be refused re-entry but ive done everything to the letter of the law and now im stuck. My fiance and i are common law here now as its been a year but as my status has been expired for months will that still count?

Any ideas folks cause im tearing my hair out.

MD81

Sep 19, 2011
Hey thanks for the reply, it was my wording! i had applied for the extension before the 6 month period had expired like 3 weeks before. I just assumed everything was ok as everything was done on the cic website and i had recieved to contact otherwise, then i got that letter 3 months later!

Ill head down to the states with all my documentation then. Would i be right in thinking i cross the border into the usa and then when i come back accross to canada i present all the WP,LMO documentation then?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Yes

MD81 said:
Hey thanks for the reply, it was my wording! i had applied for the extension before the 6 month period had expired like 3 weeks before. I just assumed everything was ok as everything was done on the cic website and i had recieved to contact otherwise, then i got that letter 3 months later!

Ill head down to the states with all my documentation then. Would i be right in thinking i cross the border into the usa and then when i come back accross to canada i present all the WP,LMO documentation then?