+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa free transit through London

Melody23

Star Member
Jul 12, 2016
Hey guys,

Does anyone know if the visa free transit actually works especially when I am fulfilling one of the conditions that is required to get one? This is what it says on the British embassy website:

You’ll need a visa to pass through the UK in transit
You should apply for a Visitor in Transit visa if you arrive on a flight and will pass through immigration control before you leave the UK.

Transiting without a visa
You might be eligible for ‘transit without visa’ if:

you arrive and depart by air
have a confirmed onward flight that leaves on the day you arrive or before midnight on the day after you arrive
have the right documents for your destination (eg a visa for that country)
One of the following must also apply:

you’re traveling to (or on part of a reasonable journey to) Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA and have a valid visa for that country

So I am traveling to Canada with a study permit and have the valid documents that I need to pass through the UK border control. I would have applied for the transit visa but it's too short of a notice to do so since I will fly on the 4th of September. This is why I want to get the visa free transit on arrival at the Heathrow airport. Any suggestions anyone?

MONTY39

Jul 28, 2016
Category........
CEC
I too had the similar situation two weeks ago. Few guys said I might need a transit visa, few said I won't.
Agent said that london authorities are very finicky and they might end up asking you a transit Visa.
So, I decided not to take any risk and took the Frankfurt option.
The British Airways will not respond to such queries on phone...Try if you think its worth taking the risk.

harvijay1001

May 23, 2016
App. Filed.......
27-10-2016
Melody23 said:
Thanks Monty! I guess I will try to apply for a transit if that's a safe option.
How much is your layover? And is your flight to Canada departing from same terminal as your flight from home country to London? It would be terminal 5.

You don't need a transit visa. Many of my friends have taken British Airways to USA and Canada(Montreal). They had no issues.\

Bon Voyage!

Melody23

Star Member
Jul 12, 2016
I am flying with British Airways and have a layover of 10 hrs in London. I want to get out and see the British Museum! However, I am not sure if I need the transit visa or should I expect to get a transit without visa upon my arrival.

harvijay1001

May 23, 2016
App. Filed.......
27-10-2016
Melody23 said:
I am flying with British Airways and have a layover of 10 hrs in London. I want to get out and see the British Museum! However, I am not sure if I need the transit visa or should I expect to get a transit without visa upon my arrival.
Oh no! You won't be allowed outside the international terminal without a transit visa.

Melody23

Star Member
Jul 12, 2016
I know that's why I checked the embassy website that says that if i have an onward travel ticket to Canada, US, New Zealand or Australia, a valid visa for one of these countries, proper documentation (such as visa, enough funds) then I might be eligible to get a transit without visa. So I was just wanted to confirm if anyone had faced any situation like this where they were able to get out without a visa but had fulfilled the conditions for a transit without visa.

harvijay1001

May 23, 2016
App. Filed.......
27-10-2016
Melody23 said:
I know that's why I checked the embassy website that says that if i have an onward travel ticket to Canada, US, New Zealand or Australia, a valid visa for one of these countries, proper documentation (such as visa, enough funds) then I might be eligible to get a transit without visa. So I was just wanted to confirm if anyone had faced any situation like this where they were able to get out without a visa but had fulfilled the conditions for a transit without visa.
A friend had an onward journey to New York and a layover of 9h. She was issued a transit visa on the spot and allowed to get out for a few hours.

harvijay1001

May 23, 2016
App. Filed.......
27-10-2016
Melody23 said:
This gives me hope!
worst case scenario, you won't be allowed to go out and will have to spend 10h in the airport.

But you won't have a problem going to Canada for sure

MONTY39

Jul 28, 2016
Category........
CEC
Melody23 said:
Once you cross immigration, you sure need transit visa...depending on your nationality...hope they dont harass you...All these issues are case subjective and I am sure you will need a TV once you get out of the airport...

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Melody23 said:
for UK u dont need a transit visa if ur stay is less than 12hrs and u dont plan to leave the airport meaning u stay on the international side of airport. assuming ur from India

annpeppa

Nov 24, 2015
for UK u dont need a transit visa if ur stay is less than 12hrs and u dont plan to leave the airport meaning u stay on the international side of airport. assuming ur from India
Hi, I have booked my tickets in Sri Lankan Airlines from Cochin to Toronto. We have a layover at Heathrow, for 12hrs 30ms. We are reaching on 25 sep 2017 at 08.30 PM and the connection flight to Toronto is at 08.00 AM the next day. We also need to change Terminals. So wondering if we need a transit visa. I have checked with airline as well as UK immigration. Very confusing answers. UK immigration people said I need a transit visa, but need to check with Airline to see if I am passing through border control so that they could tell which transit visa is required. There are two, one is airside transit and visitor transit. I will be changing Terminals. Can anyone tell me do I require a transit visa? If yes, then which one?

Thanks in Advance!