+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa for travel

emvee1967

May 14, 2012
Sorry if I am posting in the wrong section.
My family is staying in Canada- wife and 2 children. They are travelling by KLM to India during August. Their PR card will expire in October. They have the required number of days to renew PR card or apply for the citizenship, if the old law prevails.
Usually they travel with single transfer in Paris or Armsterdam. They could do that with out any special transit visa.
This time, I have to book the flight with 2 transfers. (because of high price). Now they are travelling from Toronto to Detroit and from there to Paris both by Delta Airlines. (Transit time 3h 30mt), same terminal. From Paris to India by Air France ( transit time - 2h 35 mts, same terminal). My question is, do they need a transit visa in USA or Paris.
The KLM person in Dubai said, they require a visa for USA only. KLM person in Toronto informed, they don't need any transit visa at all, only need a valid passport.
The KLM facebook answer to check with the local embassy.
Anybody has any previous experience or information, please share.

Emvee 1967

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

If they hold Indian passports, they will need transit visas for the stopover in Detroit..... they must apply for C1 transit visas for each traveler if the stopover is less than 24 hours

As for Paris CDG, they do not require any transit visas..... even if they were transferring between two terminals, they do not require transit visas for Paris CDG.

Cheers :)

emvee1967

May 14, 2012
Thanks a lot.
We were actually planning for applying for a visa to US. How much time it takes normally to get a US visa for Canadian PR card holders? Do they ask for a personal appearance?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

If you have a B1/B2 visa then you do not require a C1 transit visa.

In my opinion, if you can avoid transiting through the US onward to Paris CDG then that would be best.... transit visas can be time consuming to obtain.... and the requirements are the same as a B2 tourist visa.

What matters is the passport that one has.... ie it depends on whether the applicant is from a country that's part of the US Visa Waiver Program or not.... and not the Canadian PR card

btw the C1 transit visa is a single entry visa.... so the validity will end when your family leaves the US.... if they want to re-enter the US for another transit then they must re-apply for another C1 visa

Hope this helps

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emvee1967 said:
Sorry if I am posting in the wrong section.
My family is staying in Canada- wife and 2 children. They are travelling by KLM to India during August. Their PR card will expire in October. They have the required number of days to renew PR card or apply for the citizenship, if the old law prevails.
Usually they travel with single transfer in Paris or Armsterdam. They could do that with out any special transit visa.
This time, I have to book the flight with 2 transfers. (because of high price). Now they are travelling from Toronto to Detroit and from there to Paris both by Delta Airlines. (Transit time 3h 30mt), same terminal. From Paris to India by Air France ( transit time - 2h 35 mts, same terminal). My question is, do they need a transit visa in USA or Paris.
The KLM person in Dubai said, they require a visa for USA only. KLM person in Toronto informed, they don't need any transit visa at all, only need a valid passport.
The KLM facebook answer to check with the local embassy.
Anybody has any previous experience or information, please share.

Emvee 1967
Not worth it. It takes time to schedule an appointment, have to appear in person for interview, cost money, and may take additional time to process. I would just change flight reservations.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
@CanV

Very true.... for the money, documents and efforts involved to obtain a C1 transit visa.... one might as well apply for a B2 visa instead which has a longer validity/multiple entry and other plus points