+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa for PR application

Pemaktitkis

Aug 15, 2018
I'm about to send my application for PR as a Quebec-selected skilled worker. The only problem is that my wife is currently in the process of restoring her Canadian visa, since Canada Post lost her passport several months ago. She has a new passport already and valid work permit. I consulted an immigration lawyer at my office and called Citizenship Canada Client Support center, and i was told everywhere that as long as my wife actually has a legal status in Canada, we don't have to wait until this situation with her visa is resolved. But document checklist clearly says that "if i live in a country other than my country of nationality i have to include a photocopy of my visa for country in which i currently live ". So at this point i'm confused and not sure what i should do - send my application as it is or wait until they stamp a new visa in my wife's passport. Or may be i could just include an explanation letter with my app?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm about to send my application for PR as a Quebec-selected skilled worker. The only problem is that my wife is currently in the process of restoring her Canadian visa, since Canada Post lost her passport several months ago. She has a new passport already and valid work permit. I consulted an immigration lawyer at my office and called Citizenship Canada Client Support center, and i was told everywhere that as long as my wife actually has a legal status in Canada, we don't have to wait until this situation with her visa is resolved. But document checklist clearly says that "if i live in a country other than my country of nationality i have to include a photocopy of my visa for country in which i currently live ". So at this point i'm confused and not sure what i should do - send my application as it is or wait until they stamp a new visa in my wife's passport. Or may be i could just include an explanation letter with my app?
Your post is a bit confusing. Are you sure she is restoring her status? Maybe you mean something else? If your wife is in the process of restoring her status, then she does not have legal status in Canada at this time. She is out of status in Canada. The purpose of a restoration application is to restore your legal status in Canada. Until the restoration application is approved, a person is out of status.

Pemaktitkis

Aug 15, 2018
She is restoring only her visa, her status in Canada is legal, because she has a valid work permit. And, as i understand and as our immigration lawyer explained to me, work permit is the document which determines your status in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
She is restoring only her visa, her status in Canada is legal, because she has a valid work permit. And, as i understand and as our immigration lawyer explained to me, work permit is the document which determines your status in Canada.
If she has a valid work permit, then she's not restoring her status and does in fact have valid status in Canada. She must be applying for a new TRV.

Again, restoration applications are for those who are out of status in Canada only.

Pemaktitkis

Aug 15, 2018
I see. And coming back to the question about PR: can we apply right now, or we should wait until my wife get her TRV? Everything else is ready (CSQ certificates, police clearances etc).
If she has a valid work permit, then she's not restoring her status and does in fact have valid status in Canada. She must be applying for a new TRV.

Again, restoration applications are for those who are out of status in Canada only.