+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa extension

Ranjod

May 14, 2019
Hi,
i am an international student in canada and i got academic suspension for my next semester ( around four months).And my visa will expire in July, so now how i can extend my visa and what kind of option i have to extend my visa.
please reply it as soon as possible.
Thank you

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hi,
i am an international student in canada and i got academic suspension for my next semester ( around four months).And my visa will expire in July, so now how i can extend my visa and what kind of option i have to extend my visa.
please reply it as soon as possible.
Thank you
Does your study permit expire in July or your Temporary resident visa ?

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Yes, my study permit and visa both are will expire in July.
You would normally need some proof that your study period has extended. Perhaps you can try contacting your institution's International office and see what they say.

Ann1990

Dec 19, 2018
Hi everyone,
I have a question and really appreciate if you could help me. My husband and I live in Canada and both have valid open work permits and it is valid for two years but our visa was expired 8 months ago. We want to apply for a visa but we are not sure about my answers to these questions. We applied for visa extension a couple of months ago and my husband's visa was not approved because the form that we submitted (IMM5708) was not correct. We want to apply again and we have the same problem. When we answer the questions, at the end it shows IMM 5257e in my checklist but again it shows IMM5708 in my husband's document checklist and we are sure that is not the right form and we do not know what the problem is. Here are our answers to these questions. I really appreciate if you tell me whether or not these answers are correct.
1) What would you like to do in Canada?
Work
2) What is your current immigration Status?
Worker
3) What is your family member`s current immigration status in Canada?
Worker
4) What does your family member want to do in Canada?
Apply to remain in Canada as a visitor
5) Does your family member want to restore their status in Canada?
No
Our Visas were expired but our open work permit is valid so we do not know if we should answer "No"

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hi everyone,
I have a question and really appreciate if you could help me. My husband and I live in Canada and both have valid open work permits and it is valid for two years but our visa was expired 8 months ago. We want to apply for a visa but we are not sure about my answers to these questions. We applied for visa extension a couple of months ago and my husband's visa was not approved because the form that we submitted (IMM5708) was not correct. We want to apply again and we have the same problem. When we answer the questions, at the end it shows IMM 5257e in my checklist but again it shows IMM5708 in my husband's document checklist and we are sure that is not the right form and we do not know what the problem is. Here are our answers to these questions. I really appreciate if you tell me whether or not these answers are correct.
1) What would you like to do in Canada?
Work
2) What is your current immigration Status?
Worker
3) What is your family member`s current immigration status in Canada?
Worker
4) What does your family member want to do in Canada?
5) Does your family member want to restore their status in Canada?
No
Our Visas were expired but our open work permit is valid so we do not know if we should answer "No"
I'd you have a open work permit why do you want to remain in Canada as a visitor ? what are the other options in this heading.

You are not restoring status, you are just applying for a TRV so you can re-enter Canada , you have valid status in Canada as your permits are valid.

Ann1990

Dec 19, 2018
Actually, I am confused, I know one of my answers are not correct because I applied for Visa before and it has not been approved then I called CIC, and the agent told me the form "IMM5798" is not correct and I should withdraw the application. I am applying for Visa again because I wanted to travel and go outside Canada and I have the same problem. I live in Canada and I have a valid open work permit but my Visa has been expired. The options are:
Apply for or extend an open work permit
Apply for or extend a Study permit
Apply for or extend both an open work permit and a study permit

I'd you have a open work permit why do you want to remain in Canada as a visitor ? what are the other options in this heading.

You are not restoring status, you are just applying for a TRV so you can re-enter Canada , you have valid status in Canada as your permits are valid.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Actually, I am confused, I know one of my answers are not correct because I applied for Visa before and it has not been approved then I called CIC, and the agent told me the form "IMM5798" is not correct and I should withdraw the application. I am applying for Visa again because I wanted to travel and go outside Canada and I have the same problem. I live in Canada and I have a valid open work permit but my Visa has been expired. The options are:
Apply for or extend an open work permit
Apply for or extend a Study permit
Apply for or extend both an open work permit and a study permit
I am able to get the right form.

After the first questionnaire you should click on Temporary Resident Visa. If you are getting errors if you are applying together then it might be better to apply separately.

Ann1990

Dec 19, 2018
Thanks for your help, you're right, I searched about it and found out we should apply separately because when I apply for my husband as my family member, the correct form [IMM5257] will not be triggered for him and the system generates a different form: [IMM5708]. So I think we should apply separately with a separate GC key account to solve this issue.

I am able to get the right form.

After the first questionnaire you should click on Temporary Resident Visa. If you are getting errors if you are applying together then it might be better to apply separately.

starh

Apr 29, 2018
Hi everyone,

We applied for permanent residency through express entry 3 months ago and my husband is the main applicant. We are still waiting for the PR result and have only received biometrics and medical pass up to now. We have valid work permits and are applying for a new TRV. Does anyone know what the answer to this question is if we already applied for PR? Should we say "Yes" because I am the spouse of a person who applied for Permanent Residence?

Are you a spouse, common-law partner or dependent child of a person who:
  • Holds a Work Permit for a job in National Occupation Classification O, A, B;
  • Holds a study permit and is a full-time student at a university, community college, CÉGEP or other authorized educational institution;
  • Holds a Temporary Resident Permit that is valid for six months or more;
  • Applied for Permanent Residence to an office in Canada and was determined to be eligible for Permanent Resident status (first stage approval)
  • Is subject of a removal order that is unenforceable.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Thanks for your help, you're right, I searched about it and found out we should apply separately because when I apply for my husband as my family member, the correct form [IMM5257] will not be triggered for him and the system generates a different form: [IMM5708]. So I think we should apply separately with a separate GC key account to solve this issue.
Yes, I am assuming that works when the spouse does not have a open work permit themselves. The form your husband was getting before was for permanent residence and not a TRV.

AliMay

Star Member
Jun 26, 2020
Hi,

I have a dilemma. I supposed to be graduating this spring but I failed one of my courses and my visa will expire on July 31. I did my registration and enrollment to finish my program. The length of the course is from September 14 to November 14. My questions is will I still be eligible to extend my permit though this course is less than 6 months?

thanks!