+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa extension while waiting for AOR

Lolopizzo

Feb 1, 2020
Hi on February 8th we applied for a visa extension for my husband. Ever since then it has been stuck in processing. His status as a visitor expired in March 11th so we applied for the extension over 30 days before he was out of status. You are supposed to have implied status until you receive a response.

We submitted all the paperwork for spousal sponsorship and work permit the first week of March and have not heard back about that yet either.

On June 11th it will be 90 days since his status in Canada was up. We are becoming concerned since we have yet to hear back about the extension. Should we apply for restauration before the June 11th or will be he okay since he is supposed to have implied status because of the processing visa extension submitted on February 8th. We are just confused on what we should do right now.
Thanks

bian07

May 19, 2017
He has implied status from both applications, which is legal status so no need for restauration just yet. If they refuse the visitor record he might get a new date that serves as the date that you can use for the restauration application if needed.

I'm in exactly the same boat as you, j applied for extension february 5th and for sponorship&owp beginning of may. They just changed the processing times for visitor record to 135 days a few days ago, so its hopefully our turn soon.

koolord

Star Member
Oct 24, 2019
Don’t worry, applying for sponsorship has implied status. they make a decision,
I think you should apply for OWP, and don’t work until you get your status. Good luck.

bian07

May 19, 2017
Don’t worry, applying for sponsorship has implied status. they make a decision,
I think you should apply for OWP, and don’t work until you get your status. Good luck.
The sponsorship application does not give you status. The owp application that you can include does.

Reactions: canuck78