April, 2014
AOR Received.
August, 2014
Interview........
2015-07-14
LANDED..........
2015-07-14
Hello,
I came in Canada on tourist visa and extended it for 6 months. Soon it will expire. During my stay here, I got married and applied for a PR (inland application). On CIC hotline I was told that I need to extend my visitor visa again in order to stay in Canada while waiting for decision to be made on my application. If someone has been in similar situation, please share your experience, I have a few questions:
1) for my first extension, I attached a return airplane ticket. Do I have to attach a new return ticket again? It seems useless, as I'm waiting for status and it should be clear to a visa officer that I'm not going to leave the country
2) should my husband say in the support letter, that we applied for a PR and are waiting for a decision, and that's the reason why I want to extend my visa? or is it better not to mention it? I guess they will see it anyways? Or maybe not yet, because we applied only 2 months ago.
3) what is the chance for a positive decision on visa extension in this situation?...
Thank you so much!

chala

Mar 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa - LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-04-2013
AOR Received.
15-04-2013
File Transfer...
25-04-2013
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
09-01-2013 ext till 2015
Interview........
Aug 5-2014 passed
Passport Req..
21-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2014
LANDED..........
Dec 8, 2014
fupsik said:
Hello,
I came in Canada on tourist visa and extended it for 6 months. Soon it will expire. During my stay here, I got married and applied for a PR (inland application). On CIC hotline I was told that I need to extend my visitor visa again in order to stay in Canada while waiting for decision to be made on my application. If someone has been in similar situation, please share your experience, I have a few questions:
1) for my first extension, I attached a return airplane ticket. Do I have to attach a new return ticket again? It seems useless, as I'm waiting for status and it should be clear to a visa officer that I'm not going to leave the country
2) should my husband say in the support letter, that we applied for a PR and are waiting for a decision, and that's the reason why I want to extend my visa? or is it better not to mention it? I guess they will see it anyways? Or maybe not yet, because we applied only 2 months ago.
3) what is the chance for a positive decision on visa extension in this situation?...l
Thank you so much!
If you are applying as an Inland applicant you actually do not need a visitor visa extension, according to the Guide.
If you are applying as an Outland applicant the answers to your questions are 1. No; 2 . yes, and. 3, chances are 100%.
CIC will grant extensions for PR applicants who are residing in Canada while awaiting Outland processing.
Inland applicants have implied status as long as they remain in Canada during processing.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Implied status only exists if an Open Work Permit app was sent with the PR application. The inland app alone does NOT give implied status.

jbaia

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
14-05-2014
Med's Done....
13-06-2014
chala said:
If you are applying as an Inland applicant you actually do not need a visitor visa extension, according to the Guide.
If you are applying as an Outland applicant the answers to your questions are 1. No; 2 . yes, and. 3, chances are 100%.
CIC will grant extensions for PR applicants who are residing in Canada while awaiting Outland processing.
Inland applicants have implied status as long as they remain in Canada during processing.
According to the 'guide' .. which guide are you referring to. We just spent $100 to extend hubby's visitor visa to only receive 3 months. Wondering where it says we didn't need to do that.

fupsik

Apr 30, 2014
Montreal
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April, 2014
AOR Received.
August, 2014
Interview........
2015-07-14
LANDED..........
2015-07-14
We didn't send application for work permit, as we read that it's no longer possible to apply for it together with sponsorship. A lady on the CIC hotline told us that in this case I must extend my visa. But the Guide really tells something about it:

Maintaining legal status
Spouses and common‑law partners of Canadian citizens and permanent residents in Canada who wish to apply for permanent
resident status are no longer required to have legal immigration status provided that they have an eligible sponsor. All other
eligibility requirements continue to apply

What does this mean??

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fupsik said:
We didn't send application for work permit, as we read that it's no longer possible to apply for it together with sponsorship. A lady on the CIC hotline told us that in this case I must extend my visa. But the Guide really tells something about it:

Maintaining legal status
Spouses and common‑law partners of Canadian citizens and permanent residents in Canada who wish to apply for permanent
resident status are no longer required to have legal immigration status provided that they have an eligible sponsor. All other
eligibility requirements continue to apply

What does this mean??
this has been discussed many times before. the rules are different for CIC and CBSA. CIC (immigration) doesn't need you to be in active status for PR processing. however for CBSA (law enforcement), they consider out of status visitors to be a risk. so there's always that low risk that CBSA can deport you if somehow you are brought into their attention (however that may be, may not be even your fault). so it's always better to be in active or implied status.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
fupsik said:
We didn't send application for work permit, as we read that it's no longer possible to apply for it together with sponsorship. A lady on the CIC hotline told us that in this case I must extend my visa.
CIC customer service reps are giving different answers to this. Some tell people it's still ok to send OWP app with inland app to CPC-M, and others are saying you need to wait until AIP/stage 1 approval to apply for OWP.

So far nobody (on this site) that has submitted OWP with inland app to CPC-M (and there have been many) have had their OWP returned. This could be because they are accepting them, or just could be nobody has had their papers processed or reviewed yet. So who really knows.

vaida

Oct 10, 2013
fupsik said:
Hello,
3) what is the chance for a positive decision on visa extension in this situation?...
Thank you so much!
It is very likely you will be granted another extension, be sure to include all supporting papers, that prove your marriage and inland application. You may not have any respond from CIC yet, but you can include receipt of your fees paid or tracking receipts showing your application has been sent and received. Explain this in your letter of explanation, the more details you include the better. Make sure to prove as much funds as you can, as that helps too. Good luck :)

Audjgal

Star Member
Aug 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2013
AOR Received.
11-10-2013
Med's Done....
20-08-2013
I just extended my Visitor status even with an implied status.
I attached the receipts for the Inland Sponsorship and work permit and husbands pay stubs and scanned my medical receipt in as well. I got what I asked for,just shy of 6 months, but I'm from a Visa Exempt country and leave Canada at least twice a year in any case.

vaida

Oct 10, 2013
Audjgal said:
I attached the receipts for the Inland Sponsorship and work permit and husbands pay stubs and scanned my medical receipt in as well. I got what I asked for,just shy of 6 months, but I'm from a Visa Exempt country and leave Canada at least twice a year in any case.
You are not advised to leave Canada during the process of inland application, no matter if you have visitor visa or you are from visa exempt country, unless I don't know something.

Kev1n

Nov 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/06/2014
AOR Received.
01/08/2014
File Transfer...
01/08/2014 ( 26/09/2014--AOR2)
Med's Request
14/10/2014
Med's Done....
17/08/2013
Passport Req..
14/10/2014

In that case you may as well applied outland...

Audjgal

Star Member
Aug 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2013
AOR Received.
11-10-2013
Med's Done....
20-08-2013
I would have applied outland except outland processing times for my country are over 30 months.
I have travelled twice out of country since we submitted the Inland, I know it's not recommended but I have been In and out of Canada many times the past 18 years and I'm always honest with CBSA. The last time I returned the nice guy behind the counter scanned my passport whilst asking me why I was coming to Canada and said "Whoa!" before I could reply, he could see all the entrys in. I make sure I'm always in Status and this was the first time I would have been out of Status ( or on implied status bc I did submit a WP with my app). I chose to extend my Visitors visa even with the Implied Status as I'm nervous about Implied Status jeopardising my trouble free leaving and returning.
I actually have more trouble boarding in Asia the last few times bc I had no return ticket, they only let me board after I talked to someone higher up and remembered I had my marriage certificate scanned on my phone.

NOTE: I am NOT encouraging anyone to do it and it is not recommended as noted on this forum.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
amouresansfrontieres said:
I would be interested to know how this situation was resolved. I am coming to canada as a tourist to be married and will be applying inland.
There's no inland process as of December 15th. The inland / outland processes are being merged into one.

amouresansfrontieres

Oct 24, 2016
i tried to post a link from voiceonline but it would not allow me to do so. it backs up what you are saying and details some of the improvements to the system.

this is very promising. i have been monitoring the news for the policy that would back up the government's commitment to allow families to be together. we will have to wait until the 15th then to see what they have done.

also, they have extended, once again, the pilot scheme to fast track work visas. i believe it is currently about 4 months from the date of the application for the OWP and that it can be submitted with the spousal visa application. this too is reassuring. my partner is currently working 3 jobs in canada. I want to contribute as soon as possible when i arrive. i want to work. i want to be able to support myself and my partner financially. i just need to get this over with and move on with our lives.

let's hope 2017 is a better year for all of us. reading the forums on this site, there are so many families suffering. my heart goes out to all them.