softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I read contradicting information on this topic so wanted to confirm with anyone who has more clarity.

So my mother's Visitor Visa has expiry date as mid-December, when her passport is also getting expired. If we renew her Passport now & she lands in Canada in Nov / 1st week of Dec, will she be allowed to stay for 6 Months in Canada? Or she needs to leave before Visa expires in Mid-December?

Thank you in advance.

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
Hi,

I read contradicting information on this topic so wanted to confirm with anyone who has more clarity.

So my mother's Visitor Visa has expiry date as mid-December, when her passport is also getting expired. If we renew her Passport now & she lands in Canada in Nov / 1st week of Dec, will she be allowed to stay for 6 Months in Canada? Or she needs to leave before Visa expires in Mid-December?

Thank you in advance.
TRV is valid only till passport expiry. So she will have to leave.

If she applies for an extension, she needs to have a new passport with dates which are valid

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TRV is valid only till passport expiry. So she will have to leave.

If she applies for an extension, she needs to have a new passport with dates which are valid
As mentioned in my question, she will be coming after renewal of her passport. So her new Passport will be valid for 10 years.

So, are you saying that she needs to leave before Visa expiry date even in this case OR apply for extension?

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
As mentioned in my question, she will be coming after renewal of her passport. So her new Passport will be valid for 10 years.
[/QUOTE

A new passport will need a fresh TRV stamping

TRV's are issued till passport expiry

If her TRV is issued till passport expiry [ new one] then fine

Else she has to apply for a fresh TRV and have it stamped on the new passport if it gets approved

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, so situation will be like this:

Old Passport Expiry - Mid-Dec 2022
Visa Expiry Date - Mid-Dec 2022
New Passport Expiry Date - Aug-2032 (Visa will still be valid till mid-Dec in old Passport)

Basically, my question is whether Visa Expiry date is to enforce Entry OR Exit?

Gugguu

May 30, 2022
Hi

1. Wrong. Entry, the TRV is valid up to midnight on the expiry date.
We can't overstay past our visa expiry date, if we do without having ongoing application or a reason then you'll get a red stamp on the passport. Basically, you won't be able to travel again

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We can't overstay past our visa expiry date, if we do without having ongoing application or a reason then you'll get a red stamp on the passport. Basically, you won't be able to travel again
So looking at differing PoVs even to question here, I did more search & found this video. As per him expiry date on visa is for entry. Exit is 6 months after entry OR date which CBSA officer mentions on entry stamp.

nmatter

May 12, 2019
It’s very simple expiry date is for entry and stay period will be decided by CBSA officer,
Also you can renew your passport but need to carry both (passport stamped with visa)

Reactions: softwaretesting

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
This is completely wrong. You don't understand what the expiry date on a TRV means.

An expiry date on a TRV is the last date you can enter Canada. You can remain in Canada past the expiry date on your TRV. The TRV expiry date has nothing to do with how long you are allowed to remain in Canada after entering.

Reactions: softwaretesting