+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa expiring in 1 month, do i need to apply for extension?

robaraz

Aug 9, 2018
Hi again ,
Everyday something comes up and doesn't let me sleep at night .
I almost gather everything im going to mail my Sponsorship application and my Open Work Permit Application all togheter by the end of the next week, my visa will expire 21th of December.
My question today is : Do i need to apply for a Visa extention or i dont need to since applying for OWP grants me an implied status.
Many told me i dont need to , but many also told me would be better to, help !

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You don’t have to, but I would. If you don’t and your application is rejected, you loose any implied status you gain because you have applied for your PR. If you also apply for an extension of your visitor status, if the PR application is returned for any reason, you still have implied/valid status. It’s cheap insurance to maintain your status.

robaraz

Aug 9, 2018
If I select " find if you are eligible" and i go on all the questions they ask me , it ends up with "
Family Class: Spouses or Common-law partners (In Canada)

You may be eligible to be sponsored for permanent residence in Canada under the Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class."
And then all i see is a guide to apply on paper.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Do this the paper application then. Fill out the forms and print it off. Make sure IRCC received it before your current visa expiry date. It also gets you an extra 10 days of processing.

robaraz

Aug 9, 2018
doing so they will receive it at the same time of my sponsorship/owp application , and in the owp app there is already that form or something similar and doesnt make much sense to me

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Entirely your call if you apply to extend your visitor visa or not. No requirement to have valid status for spousal sponsorship, but there is for an OWP application. It’s just in case you pr application gets returned.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
The most common reason for the work permit application to be returned is paying the wrong fee. Did you pay $255? A lot of people pay only $155 and get it sent back. Second reason would be missing signatures in the form or other mistakes in the form.

As your status is expiring pretty soon, I would probably extend as well. It's $100 for a peace of mind. However, you have until the date of your status expiry to apply so you have quite a bit of time to decide.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If I select " find if you are eligible" and i go on all the questions they ask me , it ends up with "
Family Class: Spouses or Common-law partners (In Canada)

You may be eligible to be sponsored for permanent residence in Canada under the Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class."
And then all i see is a guide to apply on paper.
You are answering the questions from the point of view of staying here permanently. This is a temporary residency extension that has nothing to do with your PR app and you need to answer the questions as such. If you do, you will get the visitor extension option.