+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa Expiring - Extension/Renewal

Raheel16

Star Member
Jan 11, 2016
Hi all,

I'm in need of some clarification as to when visa is expiring, is there a way to file an extension or start the process of new visa application while the current one is still valid?

Scenario:

My in-laws have (PG-1) visa, multiple entries allowed, the visa is expiring on June 2nd 2023, they're unable to enter Canada prior to the expiry date and would like to be in Canada in August instead. At that time, visa will be expired. Is there a process which allows them to apply for perhaps 'Super Visa' right now so by August hopefully they'll have visa that will be valid? Or it's not possible to initiate a new visa application right now as the current one is still valid until June 2nd?

What are my options? Any help would be appreciated.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi all,

I'm in need of some clarification as to when visa is expiring, is there a way to file an extension or start the process of new visa application while the current one is still valid?

Scenario:

My in-laws have (PG-1) visa, multiple entries allowed, the visa is expiring on June 2nd 2023, they're unable to enter Canada prior to the expiry date and would like to be in Canada in August instead. At that time, visa will be expired. Is there a process which allows them to apply for perhaps 'Super Visa' right now so by August hopefully they'll have visa that will be valid? Or it's not possible to initiate a new visa application right now as the current one is still valid until June 2nd?

You can initiate new one that will invalidate current one if approved while previous one is valid.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,

Scenario:

Would apply as soon as possible if they can to travel by the summer.

Raheel16

Star Member
Jan 11, 2016
You can initiate new one that will invalidate current one if approved while previous one is valid.
Acknowledged.

If the new one is not approved for whatever reason, can they still travel by June 2nd on the previous one if need be?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Acknowledged.

If the new one is not approved for whatever reason, can they still travel by June 2nd on the previous one if need be?
Yes

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They still have to qualify for supervisa insurance. If their visa is still valid they also need to be able to purchase supervisa insurance to qualify to travel.